Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fret dress (expensive) vs new neck (not much more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fret dress (expensive) vs new neck (not much more)

Meh as you know I always put myself in weird situations... So I could either get a warmoth all maple neck and shim the neck pocket on the Charvel (it shouldn't be too hard) and the whole thing would cost me about 220 euros I think. Or I could get a fret dress done for 120 euros, then the neck would still need a relaquering and such... Count 170 at the least.
    Something like this, from the showcase. Hockey or Jackson style, all maple.
    http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guita...&subMenuItem2=0

What would you guys (especially the techs) do? New neck or just a fret dress + laquer spray, for not even that much less than the new neck?

Re: fret dress (expensive) vs new neck (not much more)

The Warmoth will feel a lot different, need the floyd nut ($30) and mill job ($30), and still comes unfinished ($50). And it's drilled for Klusons and the tuning holes may need reamed. I love Warmoth's compund radius, but it's up to you...

Comment

Nope it's for a Strat style guitar, so no nut. If I get a warmoth neck, I'd get one of those 157 dollars showcase one and have stainless steel frets. I'll leave it unfinished.
      The Charvel already has a coumpound radius (though 12 to 16 as opposed to 10 to 16) so that won't be too bad.
      Klusons are the smallest holes and they can drill any other bigger size for no extra charges.

Comment

You still may need to have a new Warmoth's neck frets leveled.
        Have the frets on the Charvel neck leveled and your done with it. It doesn't need to be re-laquered. Just play the thing!

Comment

I had a fret dress for 40 euros last year. Just look for the right place, 120 euros seems too much.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's overpriced too but I don't know where else to go...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Have the frets on the Charvel neck leveled and your done with it. It doesn't need to be re-laquered. Just play the thing!

[/ QUOTE ]
              Exactly! Or just remove what's left of the old finish with some sandpaper or Scotch Brite and put some tung, danish or gunstock oil on it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You still may need to have a new Warmoth's neck frets leveled.

[/ QUOTE ]

At 120 Euros, I hope he's talking about more than a fret-level job. That's more like the cost of a refret. In that case he would need a refinish with a maple board.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

He actually said 'I charge 120 euros for a fret levelling'. He didn't even say dressing or crowning but because he's Dutch, I figured he meant the whole dressing thing.

Comment

Hey Pott, that's way too expensive, in my humble opinion unless he's a really well known tech that does excellent work. The last leveling I had done cost me $65 and another shop does it for free for me since I'm a frequent customer.

Comment

I ask 'the' other shop in Amsterdam. The same job is 10 euros MORE EXPENSIVE.

Fucking hell... In Edinburgh the guy levelled them for 20 pounds.

Comment

Re: fret dress (expensive) vs new neck (not much m

Yep, that's how much it sucks here. You have to be really observant, to find someone to do it for a 'normal' price.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                        X