Refret for my 24 Fret neck thru KV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refret for my 24 Fret neck thru KV

How much should I be paying for that? I did a bit of checking and the main guy around here (Mike Lull) seems to charge close to $500 for it and I haven't been able to find another place around here that can perform the task. I have a friend that works at Warmoth so I was thinking about asking him if there is an inhouse guy that would be willing to work on it for me. Because $500 seems a bit pricey to me.

Re: Refret for my 24 Fret neck thru KV

I´m assuming with binding?? I´d take 400€ off of you for it if I had my shop running again, so the price isn´t that bad.... Remember that this is the one task that will either make or breeak a guitar, and skimping on anything (money or qualified labor) is asking for trouble... if I were you I´d want to see one or 2 of his refrets first if possible [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

seems too high to me. A bound neck should only be about 25-50 bucks more than an unbound neck. I would think you should be able to get a refret job done on that somwhwere in the 250 range..
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Check samples of the work of whoever you decide to have do the work. It's cheaper to have it done right the first time than to have to redo someone elses hack job.

Comment

Full refrets range from 225-350 in the greater Houston area.
          I know that in other parts of the usa, people are trying to charge as much as 400-600.
          But that's way too much.
          Allot of time when refrettting, the nut needs to be replaced as well if non locking and if locking- it sometimes needs to be shimmed.
          Be careful who you have do this work, unqualified people can really mess up your fretboard.....
          If you were local, Id taker care of it for you.
          But I also have had people send me refrets from other countries and states as well.
          But its really best to get a local guy to do it for you.
          Being in WA, there should be severa lqualified luthiers. I mean, WA is the head state for a particular luthiers long running magazine and members group/convention...
          Best of luck on this.
          Let me know if I can offer any help or assistance.

Comment

Aint Jackson doing this job?

Comment

im paying $250 for a bound neck USA RR refret here in VA

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys, also thanks to those offering to help if I was closer!

Mike Lull is probably the most well known guy around here, so I guess it makes sense that he charges a lot more than everyone else. I found another local shop that does refrets (though they say to bring your instrument in to get a quote - and they're not open on Sundays). I'll post on some of the local musicians boards to see if they know any other luthiers and keep everyone updated on my search

Comment

Inearthed, post or PM me regarding what you find. Unfortunately, I've got a lot of guitars that need fret work, but I can't afford Mike (although he does great work).
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

please post the info you find. i need work done also. i brought a model 6 to mikes and they wanted $600 to refret it. thats $200 more than i paid for it! i decided the frets were not that bad after all.
                    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Sure thing, guys. I'm gonna go in tomorrow on my lunch break and check the pricing on a refret from the nearby shop / store.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        please post the info you find. i need work done also. i brought a model 6 to mikes and they wanted $600 to refret it. thats $200 more than i paid for it! i decided the frets were not that bad after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

No shit, that sounds about right for Mike. That dude is spoiled from all the business he gets from Microsoft millionaires. You should see some of the guitars that go through his shop. Just my opinion, but I think a good guitar tech/luthier could make a mint out here by building a good rep/following and undercutting Mike's prices.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

$225-$275 is the going rate here, and that's for skilled, professional work by Torres or by Kamimoto (who Brad Gillis used to rave about).
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

WOW, being the only guy in the area obviously has it´s perks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But I´m curious: only 25-50$ more for a bound neck?? It´s easily more than an hour of extra work, to me that looks almost like a luthier short changing himself.... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Okay, I brought it in to a shop locally and they said that there was still enough fret left to work with, so I didn't have to get a refret. The tech there did the full deal, made sure everything was all level after getting all the grooves out and all that. Did a full setup and intonation and did a bit of neck adjusting to. Played awesome with nice and low action.. The only downside is that they didn't tune it down a full step like I had asked! I got to practice and had to tune it down myself (waste of 10 minutes, but whatever). So I'm bringing it back tomorrow and having him verify that it is setup properly for that tuning and have him do some some more adjustments. It'll be gig ready for this Saturday, so I'm looking forward to ripping into some Kerry King-esque whammy wank solos in the thrash band I just joined.

Comment

Working...
                              X