DKMG vs. DKMGT vs. DXMG...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG vs. DKMGT vs. DXMG...

Can't friggin decide...driving me crazy...DKMG transblack...or wait...a DKMGT in Trans green...no wait...dxmg in black...no...wait...i want the DKMG...no...the DKMGT...

Thats been my mind for the last week...cannot decide...I ike floyds, but i might want something different and String through looks SOOO nice...and what are the main differences between a DKMG and a DXMG other then the inlays?

God this is driving me crazy...argghhhhhhh!!!!

Re: DKMG vs. DKMGT vs. DXMG...

One word: FINS

Matt

Comment

If it helps, I've been going through the same deliema. I already have my DK2 and due to tuning hassles I can't do anything drop D and I don't feel like setting it up for D, C, B tunings. I decided to use it for all my shred work. I decided that I needed a hard tail guitar. I looked at the DKMGT, but the electronics and pickups aren't to my liking and would have to be replaced. That would cost me plenty o $$$$$$. I am not a big fan of reverse headstocks either. If you have plenty of Floyd guitars, get a DKMGT. I'm getting a Schecter C-1 Stealth. It suits me better and comes with a real Seymour Duncan Distortion bucker in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. It's like a Les Paul-Solist SL2H. Go with the DKMGT though. Thing alternate tunings and some EMG 81/85's..........etc. Hope this helps.

Comment

I would rule out the DXMG because of the wood its made of (poplar). I find that Basswood resonates much better and you really don't notice or appreciate the difference in sound until you get a guitar made with a different wood. As for the Tune-O-Matic vs. Floyd Rose bridge, go for the DKMGT if you don't use the whammy bar (because you won't have one). That's all it comes down to. If all you care about is the look though, then just put it to an eenie-meenie-mynie-moe competition [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

DKMG/DKMGT both have carved tops
          The DXMG doesn't

That carved top looks kinda cool, but imo sharkfins look a lot cooler...

Comment

Jon Villabos you just helped me greatly, the tuning, I also have a DK2 so if i get the string through then i'll still have a floyd that i love on the DK2 but i'll also have a guitar that i can change the tuning on in a second...but...oh god....this might take me a while to decide

Matt: I already got a guitar with Sharkfins...so I'm thinking Pirahna Fins would be cool...

Ok, I've ruled out the DXMG and now just have to decide between floyd and string through

Comment

You really should buy the DKMGT in TransGreen....I love Archtop Carve and the neck is awsome. The Piranha Inlays are cool and I think the quality for the price is much better than the DXMG. I own a couple custom shop guitars and a Import Archtop and the DKMGT is a fine guitar in many respects. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I would rule out the DXMG because of the wood its made of (poplar). I find that Basswood resonates much better and you really don't notice or appreciate the difference in sound until you get a guitar made with a different wood
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude! Poplar kicks basswoods a$$!! aw wel.. guess that's a personal thing to decide..

btw, if you can afford it.. I'd definately go for the SLSMG...

Comment

I'm actually kinda surprised that more people aren't digging the Pirahna Inlays.

Comment

well, i think the sharkfins grab people attenion, what the pirrana gets a "yeah...thats great" kinda response. well, from me anyway haha. i should mention that basswood is the softest production wood used. if you sneeze, it will dent. say your walking through a door with a guitar and you bump it. poplar or alder-maybe not even a mark, and if one, not through the paint. basswood, your missing a part of your guitar now.

Comment

basswood isn't that soft dude!!! LOL! the piranha fins actually grab my attention more than the sharkfins because they're different. i love sharkfins, but they're kinda played out and every brand has a version of 'em. definitely get the DKMGT - sounds like exactly what u what. i've got one in black forest and love it. i would advise on getting a solid finish though. i love transparent finishes but IMO the solid finishes look much better on the dkmg's. peace.

Comment

I would also pick poplar over (b)asswood any day! Poplar is very similar to alder in tone. Though, I did play an EB/MM Axis made of asswood and it played nice, but I didn't play it for that long. Poplar is also a pretty soft wood, but a little harder than asswood.

[ December 27, 2002, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

a advantage of basswood is it is the lightest production wood-a RR is like..2 lbs. and as for poplar...hendrix used it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've banged into stuff with my guitar and not a mark, on the basswood. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Poplar sounds like Alder but I find the sound to be fuller from Basswood... but then again that's just me.

As for inlays, I LOVE the Pirhana inlays... They're sexy.

Comment

Working...
                            X