Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500K volume pot with a EMG 81?

I tried wiring my 81 to the stock 500K VOL pot to make things easier
    EMG says you can do this but the pot will act like a switch for the 81?
    Mine is working normal like a volume should?
    My jackson has two dimarzio HS-3 singles which is why i wanted to use the stock VOL pot.
    what i wanted to ask is am i taking anything away from the 81's tone or output by using a 500K?
    I cant tell
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Re: 500K volume pot with a EMG 81?

Yes, they don't work very well with 500 k pots. Do you use the tone control much if not put the 500k pot there . Then put the volume pot 25k you got with the 81 in the normal spot. You could also add a PA2 booster and put all 3 pickups on the 25k pot that way it would be a all low impediance setup.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Yes, they don't work very well with 500 k pots. Do you use the tone control much if not put the 500k pot there . Then put the volume pot 25k you got with the 81 in the normal spot. You could also add a PA2 booster and put all 3 pickups on the 25k pot that way it would be a all low impediance setup.

[/ QUOTE ]
      I never use the tone pot ever
      so should i use that pot for the two singles as a master volume and the 25K for the master volume for the 81?
      is that what you mean?
      i did want to know what happens to the 81 with a 500K or 250K pot for the volume?
      does it lose clarity and definition?
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Yes, use 2 volumes the 81 is low impediance the HS-3 are high. Answer to the 2nd question also YES.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Yes, use 2 volumes the 81 is low impediance the HS-3 are high. Answer to the 2nd question also YES.

[/ QUOTE ]
          thanks! i will wire it up like that then [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I have run an EMG on a 500 ohm pot, and yes, it becomes very much like a switch. At 0 on the volume knob, everthing is silent, as should be. At 1, it switches on, with an output not far from full.

I've also been told that the output increases if you use high impedance pots. This is nothing I can confirm though, since it was very long ago I ran this setup - however I do remember a soundtech marvelling over the output that my guitar had.

Comment

Working...
            X