RR5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR5

Hi. I'm strongly considering getting an RR5 very soon. I was just wondering how they compare to the RR1s in terms of quality.

Re: RR5

web page Why buy a new RR5 for 900 bucks with guitars like this popping up. This was posted for info purposes only, it IS NOT my auction OR the auction of anyone I know!
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

In my opinion, I feel the RR5,SL3 and SL4 are grosly overpriced [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] , when select Series USA Jacksons are going so cheap right now, New and Used. I had an [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] SL4 in Black and utterly hated it, it couldn`t hold a candle to an SL2H [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I agree. The current import neck-thrus are good guitars, but they're not good for the price, in light of used US prices and even-cheaper GJ's as well as the older Rhoads Pro. ESP and Ibanez both have very good $600 neck-thru's and Kramer has it's Rhoads bootleg for $600 as well, so I think that $600 is the seemingly apparent market base price that Jackson should aim for in terms of import neck-thru's instead of $900.

Comment

good post, sephiroth.

But the RR5 has a pair of "real" Seymour Duncans. JBs, not Duncan Designed. Pickups in the import appear to be better than "decent". The RR1 also has Duncans, a JB & a Jazz. So they look to be about even there. Both guitars use the JT390 bridge. So unless you want a Floyd, there doesn't appear to be a huge chasm between the hardware on each either.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

RR-1: hand-produced in small batches of ten or so, closest thing to a custom shop model as a result
            RR-5: Factory-made in large quantities to be more cost-effective

RR-1: huge color/finish selection
            RR-5: limited color/finish selection (hopefully 2003 NAMM will add some more finishes) Some finishes are more rare than others. Black and ivory are common, natural and trans-red are somewhere in the middle, and not for the life of me have I seen one single pic of what a trans blue one looks like. No one on the net that I could find can produce a single pic of it at all. The trans blue one is definitely scarce.

RR-1: Ebony fretboard with binding
            RR-5: Rosewood fretboard without binding

RR-1: excellent pick-ups and hardware
            RR-5: Decent pick-ups and hardware, but still not the best.

RR-1: lifetime warranty
            RR-5: one year warranty

RR-1: Floyd or tun-o-matic
            RR-5: tun-o-matic only (not bad if you like that)

RR-1: Costly because it's hand-made by highly-skilled craftsmen, making the price a fair price in my opinion.
            RR-5: Don't have a clue as to why it costs $900 for an import that's machine-made. In Japan they have similar Jackson neck-thru's for as low as $300 new. For that amount of money, I would rather save up a little more and get a US RR-1, or if an import is the intent then shop for a cheaper Japanese Grover-Jackson neck-thru.

The RR-5 is too expensive for an import and too cheap (spec-wise) to be a US model, placing it in a bad spot (in my opinion).

[ December 27, 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Sephiroth ]

Comment

Yes, you're right Gary, alot of people seem to think that the RR5 has duncan designed...Pickups shouldnt be an issue, most get swapped out anyways...And NO usa select colour on the RR1t looks better then the TRed on the RR5...A jackson neck will feel like a jackson neck, a jackson neckthru is a jackson neck thru...Some people that have RR1s will tell you (subjectively) that RR5's feel cheap (cause they're imports, im guessing)...Try one out for yourself and see what happens...If you get it set up professionally i dont see how a guitar of that caliber could feel cheap, unless the friggin frets are falling out, and the fingerboard is getting unstuck (as seems to be the case with ibeenhaged guitars) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              cheers

Comment

I believe the JT390 bridge is made of cheaper metal on the import.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

LoL!!! So will it decompose quicker? will it cause cancer? Only difference there is that it could possibly wear out quicker, but wear would be caused if there was alot of friction involved from forward and backward thrusts, something which, to my knowlegde, doesnt happen with strings and bridges...If my bridge on the ****ty ibeenhad hasnt worn out at all, i doubt the rr5 would...Come on, where are the substantial differences [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  Cheers

Comment

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I do have a JT390 TOM bridge on my '94 Professional Dinky HX and think it's pretty good. If you take it off, it is super lightweight and feels cheap. Someone once told me that the USA models are heavier and made of better metal. It's like comparing USA Fenders with stainless steel saddles to import ones that are made of cheaper metal. The stainless steel will hold up better over time and will also provide a better sound.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Some people that have RR1s will tell you (subjectively) that RR5's feel cheap (cause they're imports, im guessing)
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not necessarily, I have a Charvel Model 6 that is a great guitar and I used to have a 90's Rhoads Pro neck thru that was killer. The difference....cost and quality. The early pro series were just about identicle to the USA models and can still be had for a good price. My model 6 cost me a whopping $345. I am not spending $997 for a new RR5 just because it has real Duncans in it. Let's subtract the cost of the real Duncans. If it had Duncan Designed pickups would it be worth $850? Not in my opinion. I just picked up a RR1T mint for $1000, shipped to me. My 93 RR custom was only $750. All I was trying to say, in the other thread when I said the RR5 felt cheap, is that with USA's going so reasonably, someone would have to be out of their mind to buy the new imports for close to a grand. They don't seem to be as nice as the early Pro series. That's just my opinion. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

ohhh, so heavier guitars are better now are they? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

hehe its all good stuka, i understand.

cheers

Comment

Alexi7 wrote:
                          ohhh, so heavier guitars are better now are they?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I think I missed something. Did I make a weight comparison? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I don't remember so. I played both and bought the one that in MY opinion was the better deal of the two. I'll take a shot in the dark here and say there are others in this forum that would agree.
                          Scott

Comment

Okay, I'm not quite understanding. New RR1Ts run about $1350. New RR5s run about $900. That's a $450 savings.

RR1T....................RR5
                            Black hardware..........Gold hardware (plus)
                            Neck thru...............Neck thru
                            Ebony board (plus)......Rosewood (not too shabby)
                            Binding (plus)..........None, but not important
                            Alder wings.............Alder wings
                            String thru.............String thru
                            USA Seymour Duncans.....USA Seymour Duncans
                            Sharkfins...............Sharkfins
                            Etc....

I really don't see much difference in the two. I've been seriously considering picking up an RR model for some time, and since I really love gold hardware, the RR5 has caught my eye. When comparing it to the RR1T, I really can't see much of a reason to pay about $500 more for a guitar with black hardware when I could get an equally-as-good guitar for less money with gold hardware. Yeah, I know, the USA select is custom made by hand in the USA, but from everything I've gathered on this forum, those CNC machines do a really good job. For the past year or so, all I've played is imports, and I haven't been more impressed. The USAs are great, but if I'm playing out with a guitar, I'd much rather it be a less expensive guitar.

As for buying a used RR on eBay, I agree, but there's always that chance you'll get something messed up or broken or fraudulant. Buying used is the way to go if you really know what you're looking for, but if you are in the market for a new guitar, than comparing a USA select to a Japanese neck thru is cut and dry where I'm concerned. If it was the KV4 vs. the KV2, I'd lean more towards the KV2 due to the OFR, but with the RR5, there is no tremelo to worry about, so it just makes sense to me to go for the RR5.

As for the hardware, I seriously doubt the Gotoh tuners, the JT390 bridge, the plates, etc., are of much less quality on the RR5 than they are on the RR1T. If anything, they're very similar in quality and the price difference is due mainly to one being made in the USA custom shop and the other being made overseas. In this case, I think the RR5 is well worth the price. I've seen crapier top-o-the-lines (like Kirk Hasbeen's ESP) going for so much more. At least the RR5 is a Jackson!

[ January 02, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: thetruthguy ]
                            My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

heeh stuka, i was just being a smartarse, read the last bit of toejam's post...

You're exactly right thetruthguy, perfectly right...I dont want to buy a guitar off ebay, i dont care how immaculate it is, its still second hand...There is nothing like owning a brand new guitar, NOTHING...You've basically covered everything that i was thinking...But you missed out on the 'mother of pearl sharkfin inlays [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                              Cheers

Yeah, its all cool toejam
                              [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[ January 04, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Alexi7 ]

Comment

Working...
                              X