Getting out cracked string-holding blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting out cracked string-holding blocks

I have a old Schaller Floyd with some of the stringholding blocks stuck in the saddles. I've already gotten four of them out, three using brute force and the fourth with lots of WD-40.

But the remaining two won't come out. I can barely move them around in the saddles, but I just can't get them out.

Here's what I've tried(after soaking them in WD-40 for 2 days):
    Grabbing them with a pair of vice tongs from above.
    Using a long sharp object to try and pry them out from the saddle using the string-locking screws hole. I've broken three long sharp objects doing this. I also slipped and stabbed the thumb on my left hand. It bled. Alot. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Is there no easier way of doing this?

Thanx a million
    /Thoraby

Re: Getting out cracked string-holding blocks

Remove the little gold "floor" and push the saddle out of the bottom...?

Otherwise...no.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Remove the little gold "floor" and push the saddle out of the bottom...?

Otherwise...no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great plan there!!!
      Also, you can try some real rare earth magnets.
      www.stewmac.com
      Type in magnets or item numbers
      4643 or 4642

The are SERIOUSLY strong and have helped me in the past.
      You will also want to get the excess of the WD 40 out of there as over time it will build up and turn into goo.
      Another suggestion is carburetor cleaner if you don't mind losing some of the finish on the trem. Its a great remedy.

[img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Clean it out of the saddles I will. Won't the magnets pull on the saddle itself as well as the string-block? I don't think that would work. They are seriously stuck.

I also did this to one of the saddles, and the stringblock did come out a little, maybe I can pull it out more later. I used brutal manly force and somehow created a small gap between the stringblock and the bottom of the saddle(using sharp objects and a vice grip). Then I put a fairly small nail into the gap through the stringscrew hole, and hammered it in. The nail pushed the stringblock upp a little bit.

I'll have to try the carburetor cleaner if I stab my other thumb too.

Comment

"Then I put a fairly small nail into the gap through the stringscrew hole, and hammered it in."

You are aware that there are threads in there, right? And that you may well have just buggerd them, yes?

Comment

Yes! They're all out. I used my nail method, with vice grips and my long sharp object. It only took an hour [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              "Then I put a fairly small nail into the gap through the stringscrew hole, and hammered it in."

You are aware that there are threads in there, right? And that you may well have just buggerd them, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

All threads work just fine. Although I could have just as well fucked em up, yeah.
              But honestly, I was thinking of just buying a new set of complete saddles because they seemed so hoplessly stuck. At least now I got em out.

Comment

Working...
              X