advantage to recessing the floyd is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advantage to recessing the floyd is?

I'd like to know why Jackson always puts recessed floyds on their guitars. Is there a huge advantage to this? I thought non recessed was always the way to go? Thanks

Re: advantage to recessing the floyd is?

You can pull up more.
    Technically I guess you could also lower the action more but the fingerboard is on the way so er, it's pointless.
    The neck doesn't have to be angled down.

And I think that's it...

Comment

Let's see if I have the following blurb right.

There are three Floyd sustain block lengths, each corresponding to a certain height the trem is designed to operate on the guitar body.

-42mm block (non-recessed trem): The trem sits very high over the body, and as a result, the neck needs to be angled at approximately 4 degrees to compensate. You can pull up as well as divebomb. Example guitar: Jackson Shannon Soloist.

-37mm block (semi-recessed trem): The trem sits on the body. Not sure about the neck angle. Divebombing can be performed, but on the guitars I've tried with this semi-recessed trem, I couldn't pull up very far, if any at all. Example guitar: Peavey Wolfgang... I think.

-32mm block (recessed trem): More wood is carved out of the guitar body (made popular by Steve Vai if I recall) and the Floyd sits low, with the neck parallel to the body. Dive and pull up like the 42mm block. Example guitars: Today's USA Select Jacksons.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Let's see if I have the following blurb right.

There are three Floyd sustain block lengths, each corresponding to a certain height the trem is designed to operate on the guitar body.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also a 35 mm sustain block, for the Schaller trem that I have. I don't know what guitar it came as I just bought the trem.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Well, there's something new I've never heard about! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] 35mm for Schaller trems... cool! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I only have real working experience with Floyds though, so I mentioned Floyd in my post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

What I mean is I see a lot of people blocking the floyds so whats the point of recessing it in the 1st place?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Technically I guess you could also lower the action more but the fingerboard is on the way so er, it's pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]
              recessed v. non-recessed has absolutely no bearing on action. As NOTP mentioned (and you alluded to), the neck angle will different on a guitar with a recessed to accommodate.

Another advantage of a recessed Floyd is the more trad trem like feel for the picking hand. The lower profile allows your picking hand to rest closer to the body, which some folks prefer. The taller aspect of the non-recessed trem will obviously sit your hand further away from the body, like a tunomatic bridge.

So for many, it's just a matter of feel. Subjective buggers, us guitarists, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              Hail yesterday

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                What I mean is I see a lot of people blocking the floyds so whats the point of recessing it in the 1st place?

[/ QUOTE ]

For recessed vs non, I think of it merely as the height of the floyd from the body, regardless if there's a recess routed under it. The recessed Floyds of the newer Jacksons have the trem pretty much flush with the body, while the older ones from the 80s were positioned higher up from the body. I have found I prefer the older style, having the trem up off the body cos of the way I like to position the heel of my hand. You can still have a recess route under the trem with the older style trem,..the Jacksons from the late 80s had a half-assed route like this.

Now, why are most guitars made with the recessed trem these days? I don't know the answer to that one., although I think it has something to do with the high profile guitarists of the 80s-90s who prefered the recessed kind and incorporated it into their sig models, like Vai and Satch, and the rest of the industry copied/followed from there.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

VitG and MetalMedal have it right. Like MM, I think it was just a trend (started by Vai) that caught on. Vai apparently didn't like the way the Floyd sat on the body. If you've seen pictures of his Green Meanie Charvel, you may have seen the "ramp" he put on it, to bring his hand up closer to the strings.

On a guitar with a recessed trem, you have virtually no neck angle, and the strings are at about the same height off the body as they would be on a Fender strat with a vintage trem.

I also prefer a non-recessed Floyd. I've found that it provides a more natural playing position for me. Unfortunately guitars built that way are getting hard to come by.

The "pulling up more" argument is BS for the most part, however a recessed trem NEEDS the recess, or you wouldn't be able to pull up at all - the baseplate would just sit flat on the surface of the guitar.

Like already mentioned, some guitars have non-recessed trems with recesses under them - that teoretically would allow you to pull up more (the Charvettes and the Charvel 650XL for instance). However, most of the time the trem travel is limited to how far the sustain block can swing in the back route of the guitar.

There's a lot of hype going around about recesses and what they're for.

Comment

I can pull up almost a full octave on my RG750FA with the Edge Trem recessed. I have very little upward movement with the Charvel 750XL. My Kramer has an OFR that used to pull up a 5th or so, but I got a trem arm with a longer socket, so it bumps the inside of the cavity, but arm stability is way better... It's too bad Allparts discontinued the long socket version. I got the last one, it was part of their display at NAMM in January... I saw it and bought it on the spot... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Non-recessed Floyds rule! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

aint touching anything that aint recessed LOL
                        You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Ok...I've got a question. From what I've read so far I assume the only difference between a recessed and non-recessed Floyds are the lengths of the sustain block?

Assuming I've assumed right, if I wanted to replace the JT-6 on my Model 2 with an OFR, then I would buy one with a 42mm sustain block?

Thanks

Comment

Yep, you want a 42mm block.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I can pull up almost a full octave on my RG750FA with the Edge Trem recessed.

[/ QUOTE ]

what note on which string can yo pull up a full octave??? there is NO WAY you can pull an open string note a full octave!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X