Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First build...Best way to attach neck to body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First build...Best way to attach neck to body?

Yeah as the subject states.
    This will be my first build and I'm sort of nervous, but at the same time I thing overall it will go well.
    I'm ordering the body and neck from Warmoth.
    It seems Warmoth has the neck holes in the pocket drilled and ready to go. Myself, attaching the neck to the body is a concern to me. Since I'm not a liuther and don't have access to such tools. I was wondering if any of you builders here can shead alittle light on the matter. I know its very important the neck fits tight. Tight is better and preferred for overal performance and sustain. Besides a screw driver, what should I use and do to get the neck and body attached nicely together so the build and performance of the guitar doesn't suffer?
    Thanks.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Re: First build...Best way to attach neck to body?

Should just screw right in. The holes in the pocket/neck and the walls of the pocket should dictate the trueness of the joint.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

If it's a bolt-on, a screw driver will do just fine.
      Anything stronger and you run the risk of stripping or spliting the wood in the neck.
      -Rick

Comment

I think in Dan Erlewine's book he mentions bee's wax? Don't quote me on it, and that was for necks with holes already tapped.

Comment

Bees wax for what?

Warmoths neck heels and pockets are machine planed to make sure they fit totally flush against each other, so the concern about any gaps between the wood should be eliminated. There might be small gaps on the sides, but those are thin enough that there's no noticeable difference in vibration transference with or without them being tight.
          The main thing you want is the back of the heel and the base of the pocket (where the holes are) to have absolutely no space between them.

One thing to remember with bolting on a neck is that you don't want to tighten one all the way down and then start the others - put them all in at the same time, giving one a few turns and then going to the next one and so on until they are all tight. This helps prevent the neck from pulling to one side or the other.
          You can either go clockwise (1,2,3,4) or diagonally (1,3,2,4) when alternating between the bolts.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Tightening a neck is very similar to installing a cylinder head (if your into that sort of thing). Go a little on each screw at a time, 1-3-2-4 is usually the best way as Newc already said.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Should just screw right in. The holes in the pocket/neck and the walls of the pocket should dictate the trueness of the joint.

[/ QUOTE ]
              This good information.
              Thats what I was thinking as well.

I should lay the guitar body face down with the neck fitted in the pocket and start screwing in the screws? Is that how you would do it?

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

When I assembled my warmoth body/neck combo. I clapmed the body upright in a bench vice. The neck slides in a specail way please take note of that when you get the neck and body ( they include instructions. I put bees wax on the screws. One pass one the screw is enough - you will thank me later. You will be amazed at how well they fit and how little play there is in the pocket. When I put the screws in I went in diagnals ( 1,3,2,4 if you will ). Also pay attention tot he length of the screws. If you get the heel beveled like on a lot of warmoth you need shorter screws for the front two (1,2 ) becuase the standard length screw will come through the board.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Be careful the neck sits flush in the bottom of the pocket. Sometimes the screws will want to push the neck up if your screws are tight in the body holes.

Comment

I have no bench vice.

Comment

Just screw it in. I don't have any ritual when screwing in necks. I just screw the dang thing on! And all my axes play and sound fine.

Comment

doo what earache says except don't tighten the screws all the way down...leave some room so you can wiggle the necl from side to side just a little. get 2 pieces of string. align them on the e string positions of the nut and run them down to your bridge. hold them tight. wiggle the neck until you get the alignement right as far as distance from string to outer edge of neck. Then clamp the neck to body and tighten the screws the rest of the way.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Bees wax for what?

[/ QUOTE ]

lubricating screws.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I think in Dan Erlewine's book he mentions bee's wax? Don't quote me on it, and that was for necks with holes already tapped.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Wax works great for the first time tapping the screw in the the hole. I have a bar of soap in my shop that I run the screws across.

Mike
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I guess this calls for a sticky on neck screw lube! Which is best and why? What about some of those flavored sex lubes? If you get it on your fingers you can just lick it off and it tastes good!......ok....too many beers tonight.....
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X