Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking a floyd - not related to sticky

What the heck does that mean?

I have a crappy Jackson trem (arm bushing stripped out of the base plate). Not a brass sustain block. Pot metal. It's a J580 looking at the info sticky.

When blocking a trem, does the quality of the trem matter anymore? Since this trem is shot, I thought I'd use it blocked.

My other choice is to get a J580LP, but is it worth it to upgrade if you are blocking? The current trem is a chrome J580LP - I can swap, right (didn't think of stud spacing)?

Re: Blocking a floyd - not related to sticky

it means "sticking a block between the trem block and either side of the trem cavity to immobilize the trem." so if you want to stabilize it for tuning purposes, you don't want it to float. blocking the trem takes care of that.

i also notice that when you block a trem, you may notice more sustain. i think there's a reason that my best sounding guitar has a blocked trem (and a duncan custom).

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

i also notice that when you block a trem, you may notice more sustain. i think there's a reason that my best sounding guitar has a blocked trem (and a duncan custom).

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I would agree sully since there is more "area/contact" that can transfer the vibrations from the bridge to the body. </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

word.
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Plus, it's a dead simple mod...even I can do it. Popsickle sticks and elmer's glue work great.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Popsickle sticks and elmer's glue work great.

[/ QUOTE ]
            [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nice... I'll have to try that sometime.
            -Rick

Comment

I'm sorry, I must have confused you guys. The "what the heck does that mean" was refering to the title of this thread.

I'm not asking how to block, I'm asking does the quality of the trem matter? Do you go for an OFR when chosing a trem to block, or does it matter anymore since you are blocking?

Comment

i'd think it matters more to your guitars sound and sustain than anything else. you can block any kind of floyd.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would say yes, the quality of the trem does matter if you are planning on using the fine tuners. Some of the cheaper, crappier trems have very poor thrads on the fine tuner screws causing them to move around a lot, and sometimes they have rough spots which make them difficult to turn. There's nothing more frustrating than not being able to tune your guitar properly, and quickly.

I used to have several of my trems blocked, simply because I like being able to change tunings easily. However, now I just use different guitars for different tunings.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Any suggestion as to the best thing to use for blocking?
                    (I realize the answer is "wood", but I'm wondering if any particular piece or part works better).

Comment

The simplest way to block a trem that I have seen, was a piece of wood about 2" x 1" x 1/4" thick that was screwed to the trem cavity underneath the springs.
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Any suggestion as to the best thing to use for blocking?
                        (I realize the answer is "wood", but I'm wondering if any particular piece or part works better).

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine invented a tool called the Tremol-No.
                        http://www.tremolno.com/

Its been thru years of patents and hard work and just got licensed to All parts. They are not ready for purchase yet but will be soon.
                        I personally have used and installed one of the prototypes and this IS the end all answer to anyone who wants to block a trem or make it more usable for drop tuning.
                        For the cost of a repair shop to block a trem, this little device will be worth every penny.
                        I plan on using nothing but these in the future when I have repair customers who want to block a trem...
                        They are purely amazing.

Comment

that looks cool. What's the expected price?
                          KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                          I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

and they will open a beer too!!! ya hoo!!! [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm not sure of the expected price.
                              But I would think around 50-75??
                              Just a guess. I know the few protos out there were like 1500.00 each as it was factored in the costs of patents and everything so to even get them out there initially, their value was very high. That's why only a select group of players have them right now. Basically for reviews etc.
                              I think Vai had one too but eventually decided not to go with it since he has enuff guitars in his arsenal and great techs as well as alot of tremsetters installed on his guitars so it was not a necessary toy for him.

I think those are the price estimates.
                              I will be offering them as soon as they are released as well as stocking them.
                              I mean, its much more professional than the old way of blocking a trem plus you get the versatility of drop tuning in an instant.
                              They are just fabulous!

Comment

Working...
                              X