Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

String thru or Tunomatic , advantages to either?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String thru or Tunomatic , advantages to either?

Besides how they look which would have less tension on the strings? And which would stay in tune better? Also is the neck angle any different on the string thru? I'm looking to maybe get a non floyded guitar and not sure which would feel better after coming from only floyds for a while.

Re: String thru or Tunomatic , advantages to either?

A String Thru should have better sustain given that the string pass through the body. Not sure if the average player will actually notice compared to a TOM bridge though.

A lot has to do with the tension or feel or the strings as well as your hand placement too.

Comment

String tension is determined by the angle from the bridge to the tailpiece or thru the body. With a stoptail, you can adjust this by raising the stop tail. You can't adjust a string thru (I think).

A lot of debate goes on (at the LP Forum) about the stoptail material and stud. Currently, it is believed that having steel studs in the body with an aluminum stoptail is the ticket to getting the classic LP tone. It's just something to think about - you can change the response and tone of your guitar by changing the material these are made of in order to "fine tune" your tone.

Another hot practice with LP's is to "Top Wrap" the strings on a stoptail. You string it up from the front, thru the back, and over the top. Just another way you control the "feel" of the strings and the tone. People say top wrapping gives you a more "airy" tone and a slinkier feel to the strings.

I think you should go and play some axes with each style to see which you like best. Keep an idea in your head of the things I said as something to watch when you are picking out an axe.

Comment

A string-thru with a TOM bridge is pretty much the same as a TOM bridge with a stoptail; though, you can adjust the stoptail for different tension.
        You can also have a string-thru with a Fender-type hardtail, but that basically puts the strings closer to the body, and you also have the advantage of raising the individual saddles for each string.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

One big difference is when recording a stop tail has a lot less string behind the bridge to ring out. When recording all of my string-trhoughs I have to put a piece of foam under the strings or the jug-juga-jug-juga-JA-JA isn't very tight.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Re: String thru or Tunomatic , advantages to eithe

String thrus always seemed to have loads more punch to me. However, stop bars give you tha ability to search for that "sweet spot".

I'll see your jug-juga-jug-juga-JA-JA, and raise you and jug-juga-jug-jug-juga-jug-juga-jug-juga.

Comment

Re: String thru or Tunomatic , advantages to eithe

Another point to consider for a stringthrough/TOM setup vs a stopbar/TOM setup: with a stringthrough/TOM, if you raise the bridge too high the strings will hit the bridge behind the saddles, effectively serving the same purpose as a nut. Whatever goes on behind the saddles will not contribute to the resonance of the body.

With a stopbar/TOM, you can raise both the bridge and tail to eliminate this, however the popular opinion is that you don't have as good contact between the studs and inserts this way.

Anyone know of a bolt type and matching threaded insert that would retrofit standard guitar inserts/bolts but has a tighter tolerance with less wobble?

How about large woodscrews?
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
              X