string lock or locking tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string lock or locking tuners?

What do you think would be better, locking tuners with a standard nut, or adding an "after the nut" string lock? Either one of these is technically easier than retrofitting a neck with a Floyd nut. Keep in mind, I don't ues a trem all that much.

Re: string lock or locking tuners?

Locking tuners. No extra tools to worry about like an allen wrench. Plus it's faster to tune a new string as you don't need to use as much.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would go with locking tuners if you really don't abuse the trem that much.

Comment

I've got a set of Sperzels in my Hamer Mirage I with a Wilkinson bridge. So I know a little about them. I was just wondering how they hold up to a Floyd. It seems that a lot of Carvins are built with locking tuners instead of a Floyd nut. That's what got me thinking about them.

Comment

In combination with a good nut they are supposed to work really well.

Comment

I'd go with just the locking tuners.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Its really simple bro.
              If you just use your bridge for vibrato and slight pitch changes you can get by no problem with locking tuners.
              If you like to dive bomb occassionaly and flutter and pull up and sometimes wank away... the only ones that actually stay in tune are the conventional locking trem and locking nut. A neck cut for a lock nut is the best followed by the locknut after the nut. Locking Sperzels with a conventional nut won't do it if you are a wanker.

Comment

I have locking tuners on my slatq, lots of floyds on other guitars. I would echo the previous post - for light duty the locking tuners are the way to go, I love them on a non-floyed guitar. But if you intend to use the floyd, the locking nut would be my advice.

Comment

What kind of headstock? Straight string pull across the nut or angled like on a pointy? I think this can make a big difference even if you're light on the bar. I'd want a string lock on a pointy. JMO.

Comment

It's a pointy. I'm leaning towards the string lock to cover all bases. It's the easiest to install and stays in tune more than the locking tuners for the occasional wank.

Comment

Working...
                    X