How bad is this, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is this, really?

So I won a maple/maple Model 1 neck on the bay the other day. It arrived today. First of all it said that the standard J/C chip on the headstock was "there." Well, it's a little more than "there." A thin layer about 2 inches long has been fileted off the underside. It's cosmetic only, so I'm not all that upset about that. On the bass side of the neck, however, the fretboard is apparently starting to lift up. Sorry the picture sucks, but what's the prognosis? Should I get it fixed before stringing it up, or do you think it won't cause problems for a while?

Re: How bad is this, really?

<font color="aqua">I personally would not string it up, bro. See if you can get in between the crack abit to try and get some glue in there with a syringe. Clamp it and let her dry and you'll be good to go. Otherwise contact the seller and see what you can do there.
    </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks, will do.

Comment

Same situation here I think.

I think it's just the laquer that is vanishing off and leaving the 'mark' between the fretboard and the neck.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Same situation here I think.

I think it's just the laquer that is vanishing off and leaving the 'mark' between the fretboard and the neck.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">pott, is your camera good enough to get close ups? I'd like to see closer pics if you can? </font>
          Dave ->

Comment

Well, here's a link to the auction. You can see in the description it was said to be "very clean."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-Jackson-Mode...1QQcmdZViewItem

My thumbnail is catching the edge of the fretboard when running against the crack. But I can't seem to slide a piece of paper in between. You think I should run it by a tech to see what a person "experienced" in neck work says about it?

Comment

<font color="aqua">yes, by all means, if you have a local guy, then do that. As for the auction, had you asked for the other pics he had? He does say it's clean but the fretboard area should have been noted in the auction. He/she has great feedback so maybe you want to contact them either way. </font>
              Dave ->

Comment

After further inspection, the fretboard is definitely lifting up. I'll take it to the local guy and see what he says. I already emailed the seller. But in the end, it's probably my fault for not asking for more pics in the beginning. I was just so excited to find a maple/maple neck and I trusted his feedback. Shame on me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Well, here's a link to the auction. You can see in the description it was said to be "very clean."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-Jackson-Mode...1QQcmdZViewItem

My thumbnail is catching the edge of the fretboard when running against the crack. But I can't seem to slide a piece of paper in between. You think I should run it by a tech to see what a person "experienced" in neck work says about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my suggestion. Better trained eyes and hands would be able to tell what, if anything, needs to be done.
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

*edit: waiting for better pics*
                    There ya go Dave. Same problem as Travis. I thought it was just a laquer thing? Like him, I can't slide anything but my nail does bump on it.

Comment

<font color="aqua">well I guess that answers my question if the camera is good enough..lol. Seriously, I can't see it clear enough bro, any chance you have a "macro" setting on your camera? </font>
                      Dave ->

Comment

I'm taking better ones right now, that should work...

Sorry for hijacking your thread Travis [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">better! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually from those pics (and it's really hard to tell from pics [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) but it looks either like an old repair or just discoloration from wear. If it's not lifting, then I would just leave it alone. You say you can't get anything under it? </font>
                          Dave ->

Comment

Definitely not. I'm 90% sure it's just a laquer problem myself, and Travis' seems to be the same. I don't have the money nor the material for this kind of repair so I'll probably just leave it like this for now and get the full monty done to it (refret + respray) whenever I'm rich.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Definitely not. I'm 90% sure it's just a laquer problem myself, and Travis' seems to be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I'm guessing you didn't see this part of Travis" post?</font>

[ QUOTE ]
                              After further inspection, the fretboard is definitely lifting up.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                              X