Vintage trem with locking nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage trem with locking nut?

Well since my model 1a is unplayable but has a gorgeous maple neck that'd fit the model 4 pretty well... I was thinking about swapping the necks! This way the model 1 would get a perfectly playable model 4 neck with locking nut and the 1a will get the maple neck with abused frets (it seems) and I'd be then able to confirm whether the frets really are the problem [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Would a vintage trem stay in tune better with a locking nut? And I won't abuse it, it'd just be for wobbling stuff and little pulling down.
    The neck pocket for the model 4 is angled down for the neck so the model 1a's neck should fit properly. And I blocked my Floyd and I don't use it, so the absense of locknut won't matter.

Re: Vintage trem with locking nut?

One learns best by doing...try it!

Comment

When it goes out of tune, though, you would have to unlock it just to tune it back up. Seems like it would just be a pain in the ass. Just take off the locknut and put a regular sized truss rod cover on it. That is what I did when I used a Model 4 neck with a guitar with a vintage trem.

Comment

At first I thought about just leaving it unlocked and maybe without the clamp (so that it doesn't buzz there) since I don't even use the trem. And good idea about the truss rod cover. If I ever end up doing this as a permanent solution, then I'll give it a try.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          When it goes out of tune, though, you would have to unlock it just to tune it back up. Seems like it would just be a pain in the ass. Just take off the locknut and put a regular sized truss rod cover on it. That is what I did when I used a Model 4 neck with a guitar with a vintage trem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with a JT-6 lock nut, you can loosen/tighten with a quarter or a heavy pick so it wouldn't be that bad.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

leave it unlocked without the lockingplates and screws
            i have plenty of axes around this style(but mostly floyd nuts), works fine for me
            or take off the whole locking nut (thats what i would prefer on a locking-nut-behind-the-nut setup)
            you can replace the halfsized TRC with any standard Charvel/Jackson TRC they will fit perfectly
            or you leave it away, thats what i do most times anyway
            cheers
            andy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              One learns best by doing...try it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Floyd Rose already did that, so there's no need for anyone else to try it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              At first he thought it was slipping at the nut, so he clamped it. Then he realised it slipped at both the nut AND the bridge.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

muahaha
                Problem is: On the 1a now, the action is higher than it was on the 4 and even though it has the 4's neck, the buzz is still there (none at all on the 4 with its neck). That means I'll string up the model 4 (with the 1a's neck) and waste another pack of string (I bought 3 today). I'll play her loads tomorrow and see if the strings settle, I think new strings tend to buzz more.
                On the 1a now, the action is higher than it was on the 4 and even though it has the 4's neck, the buzz is still there (none at all on the 4 with its neck).

Comment

Working...
                X