Double Cream, Zebra, or Black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Cream, Zebra, or Black?

Not sure if this is the right area to post this, but....

Thinking of swapping out pickups on this baby. And, if so, I'm opening up the appearance options. Hence, the poll for opinions. Which do you think?

Also, please post your preferences for pickup suggestions. Mahogany body and neck. Looking for something medium chunky, but leaning towards the "vintage-ish" end of the spectrum.
    Double Cream
    0%
    Zebra
    0%
    Black
    0%

Re: Double Cream, Zebra, or Black?

Zebra... Duncan Custom in the bridge with either a '59 or Jazz in the neck.
    A DiMarzio PAF Pro or PAF Joe would also be a great choice for the neck, IMO.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Zebra Custom in the bridge, Jazz in the neck, cause that's what I want in it... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I voted for Double Cream. I was never after a vintage kind of sound so unfortunately I can't make any suggestions about the pickups themselves.

Comment

Zebras!!Custom & 59'!!& way cool GMP Pat!!

Comment

Zebra, most definitely. I would go with a Custom/Custom and an APH2 in the neck. The A2 magnets in those pickups will stay nice and smooth for you. The Custom/Custom will be like "hot vintage" while the APH2 will give you that creamy Slash tone.

Comment

Zebra - Super Distortion/PAF.

Comment

reverse zebra and zebra is my choice but that was not an option, anyway depending on body wood i would go with a 59 and a jazz

jon

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Zebra Custom in the bridge, Jazz in the neck, cause that's what I want in it... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

if you want something with a little less bite, go for a 59, or the seth lover pickups. those things sounds awesome. don't ruin it with double creme.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Zebra for sure. My Xaviere Zeimatis copy is going to have a custom/jazz combo. I already put in the zebra custom in the bridge, I just need to find a zebra jazz for the neck.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Interesting. I was leaning towards double cream before, but now you guys may be starting to convince me with the zebra votes.

Right now, it's got a pair of Dimarzio PAF Pros in it. Not bad PUs. They're nice. But I'm looking for a different tone.

And has anyone tried the Pearly Gates? What little I've heard liken it to a '59, but with more harmonics. That sounds appealing to me for the neck position.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck, I'm afraid I'm keeeping her. This baby is definitely growing on me - first LP style guitar that I can truly say that I've enjoyed. Never say never, I suppose. But, for the time being, about the only way I can see myself moving this guitar is if I find a nice flame or quilt-top Deluxe to replace her. ...Sorry, bro. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Double cream in the bridge and zebra in the neck.

Comment

Zebras. JB/Jazz. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I had a pair of Pearly Gates in my Hamer Special FM. They were really good pickups, just a little too bright for my taste. They definitely have that top end sizzle you would expect from the unofficial signature pickup of Billy Gibbons. They are similar to the 9s, but not as boomy. The harmonics are definitely better.

Comment

I'd leave it like it is....it has that "Frampton Comes Alive!" look to it... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X