EMGs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMGs???

I swear I saw a thread on this before, but can't find it. Do EMG active pu's work when there's no battery? If so, do they sound any good? I'm thinking, "What happens if you are playing a guitar with EMGs and the battery gives mid performance?" (aside from it being poor planning on the guitar players part!) [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: EMGs???

NO they dont. they wont just give out the sound will get weak way before the battery actually completely dies.

Comment

I'd think they lose power as the battery fails...my DA is the first axe I've owned with active EMG's and I haven't tried to play it without a battery [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Hear the universe scream
      Bleeding from black holes
      Whom horns careless
      And whom God mourns

Comment

you beat me to the punch [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
        Hear the universe scream
        Bleeding from black holes
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

I got sound out of mine without a battery. I was real weak but strong enough for the VS-1 tuner to work.

Comment

Supposedly you DO get a very weak signal. The battery is there to boost the signal. Something to do with low impedence. And something about why you are able to raise the EMG pickups as high as you can for the full effect. I don't understand all this physics and electronics crap, so I just always make damn sure the battery is fresh. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The batteries won't run out "mid performance". Like the other dudes say, you will hear it when they start running low. The tone becomes thinner and distorts in an ugly way. But still - that's no excuse for not bringing spare batteries to the show. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And yes, you do get a signal from the pickups even without the batteries, but it's not a very useful one...

Comment

EMG's are based on a temporary magnet as apposed to a permanent magnet in a traditional pickup.
                EMG's require the battery to generate the magenetic field for the pickup. When the battery begins to weaken, the magnetic field weakens and that is why the sound thins out and distorts. You will get a signal as there are some residual magnetic properties left in the poles even when the electric current is gone.
                Ever take a nail, wrap copper wire around it and attach it to a battery to make a temporary magnet? Same principle.
                It's very noticable when poeple do 18 volt upgrades to EMG's.
                You are basicly increasing the magnetic pull of the pickup which in turn, makes it hotter.
                -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  ...EMG's require the battery to generate the magenetic field for the pickup. When the battery begins to weaken, the magnetic field weakens and that is why the sound thins out and distorts...

[/ QUOTE ]
                  I am pretty sure the batteries are only used to fuel the preamp...and I have run EMG's on both 9v and 18v, and they don't sound any "hotter" on 18v to my ears.

Comment

LOL! The current required to create a temporary magnet would chew those batteries up in nothing flat!

Comment

Im running 18v on my EMG's too, and really didnt notice much of a difference either... Almost no difference compared to my buddys PRS I wired with only 9v.

Regardless, you wont get much sound out of them once the batteries die, but you will know when they start to die. Id replace them atleast every 6 months (depending on how much you play ofcourse) just to be safe.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

You'll have to pardon my ignorance... I've never used EMG's before. When I purchased the EMG 81 for my latest project, that was the explanation that was given to me. Yes... I feel like a complete dolt right about now. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        I've always wondered where the hell the pre-amp was located and when I asked, the "other idiot" gave me the above explanation. I did think it was a bit weird but hey.
                        -Rick

Comment

Don't worry about it Rick. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for battery life, I replace mine when they run out of juice. The battery in my RR has been in there for two years now. The one in my Flying V has held up for four years, but I haven't played that guitar very much since I got into Jacksons and Charvels. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

One 9V battery should last approximately one month in an EMG-equipped guitar if you leave the guitar plugged in to a cord. When you buy a set of used EMGs, ensure that you also have a stereo output jack that effectively "disables" the circuit when the guitar is unplugged in order to preserve battery life.

This isn't an issue when you store your guitars in their cases like I do, so it doesn't matter to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

To double your battery life in your EMG-equipped guitar, wire two 9V batteries in parallel.

Wiring them in series gives you one 18V source for increased headroom which is most noticeable in bass guitars where you need to generate clean headroom especially when the volume knob is all the way up. Trust me on this... my brother is a bassist with various active (9V and 18V) and passive setups and the 18V system is the cleanest sounding bass at full volume knob settings.

Comment

I have an EMG 81 in my COW DK6 and it screams. I havent had to change the battery in it yet cuz the guitar is new...
                              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                              X