Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler 2700 vs. Floyd Rose

Has anyone tried the 2700 series of Kahlers? I have one in a mutt Aria:

These are heavy duty steel, but the "edge" is on the stud post. The trem has a pocket that the knife edge post fits into. Need a new sharp edge? Buy a new post. I've never had an OFR, so can someone who has tried both tell me what they think?

Playable wise, the 2700 has a nice wide flat area to rest your palm for muting. I'm trying to decide if I go OFR or Kahler "killer" on a project.

Re: Kahler 2700 vs. Floyd Rose

A friend of mine has the Spyder (this one) on a RR3R. He couldn't put the Kahler's posts so he kept the JT580's and guess what: even without knife edges, this trem stays in tune great. He's a bit restricted in his pulling up movement though. I guess it's a great value for sure.

Comment

The Spyder and the 2700 are different trems.......The 2700 had an optional autolatch that was pretty cool, as it locked the trem into a fixed bridge mode when the trem arm wasnt in position............

Comment

Isn't the 2700 the one where you feed the strings through the bridge? If so, they came stock on the Peavey Vandenberg and some of the early 1988/9 Carvin DC's. They work pretty good but not as stable as a Floyd. Also, I don't believe the stud post spacing is the same as a Floyd.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Isn't the 2700 the one where you feed the strings through the bridge? If so, they came stock on the Peavey Vandenberg and some of the early 1988/9 Carvin DC's. They work pretty good but not as stable as a Floyd. Also, I don't believe the stud post spacing is the same as a Floyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes - string through the back, through the locking studs (they are hollow). Then you turn the back of the studs which "pinches" the string down, locking it. No need to cut ball ends off.

Can you give more detail on "not as stable as a Floyd"

Stud post spacing not too much of an issue - the guitar is currently unfinished.

I'm just looking for the best floating bridge out there. Is it the OFR?

Comment

"Best floating bridge out there" is kind of subjective to style. I think they are both unstable..............

Comment

The best floating bridge out there IMHO is the Ibanez Low Pro. Also, you really can't beat a Floyd Rose Pro or an original. The 2700 certainly wouldn't be considered one of the "best ones out there" in anybody's list. The problem with the 2700 is the double knife edge on the bridge itself. When you full float a 2700 they tend not to come back to pitch unless you pull up a little on the bar. Kind of like a Kahler Flyer. The knife edges alo wear out quickly and its next to impossible to get replacement parts. I would suggest doweling and redrilling for a Floyd.

Comment

Working...
              X