No announcement yet.

What does a capacitor on a tone pot do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a capacitor on a tone pot do?

I have a .022 capacitor wired on the tone pot of one of my guitars. This particular guitar seems to lack treble response. I'm wondering if the capacitor wired to the tone pot has anythind to do with it. I put new electronics and found this particular schematic somewhere on the 'net. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: What does a capacitor on a tone pot do?

in a passive circuit like one in a guitar, a capacitor short circuit the high frequencies to ground, meaning they won't reach the output jack (in player's words, tone becomes less trebly).

if u use 22nF, I would make out of it to be a humbucker, since this is common value for them (multply by 2 for SC).

the amount of treble cut off has to do with the type (log vs lin) and the value of your tone pot.

if u are talkin' about treble loss caused by the volume knob itself, this can be fixed also.

Comment

just put the schematics online and we can explain it from there if u want

Comment

The capacitor is what makes a tone pot, well... a tone pot.
        It basicaly creates a controlled short.
        Without it (capacitor), it's another volume pot.
        The capacitors rating determines the "tone" you will get.
        There are a few other things you will need to factor in as well... type of pickup, type of volume and tone pots being used (250k vs 500k) etc...

EDIT: Pebber beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        -Rick

Comment

First, I put in a Dimarzio Super D. It sounded really flat and seemed to lack output. Last night, I put in a Tone Zone, it is better, but still not quite what I expected... seems to lack output and sounds a little flat. I have a TZ in my Les Paul and My Ibenhad, and it sounds great in both. It is a Charvel Model A. Three way switch, one 500k for the volume and a 500k tone pot. I don't remember all the connections exactly, but the cap is grounded to the the bottom of the tone pot and one of lugs. The hot lead of each pickup is shorted across two lugs on the switch. Wiring is not my strong point. I have to look for schematics online and if it isn't the exact configuration I have, I have to guess. Not a good way to do it... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The 500k pots are perfect for what you are doing and it sounds like the cap is wired properly.
            I would look more at the wiring on the switch and or pickups.
            Sounds like you're shorting out somewhere or you have the humbucker wired out of phase.
            If you could take a pic of the wiring job and post it here, it may help in diagnosing the problem.

Edit:
            something to remember, the color coding for wiring a DiMarzio humbucker is different than a Seymour Duncan.
            -Rick

Comment

Yep, I've got the black and white wired together for each (PAF Pro in the neck). I don't know if this would cause a problem, but I think that not only is the lug on the tone pot in question wired to the cap, but I think there may be another short wire grounding it to the back of the pot. I'll have to check it out. I'll try and get pics up in the next hour or so. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Here is a good link to wiring a guitar.
                It's very basic and pretty easy to follow. You don't need a degree in eletrical engineering to follow along. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                It's also a good reference for troubleshooting some common wiring issues.
                -Rick

Comment

I had a super3 that sounded like an AM radio.

I think it was like that because I was using SD color codes instead of DiMarzio or I had the wrong two wires tied off together.

I finally got it worked out. The problem was at the 5 way switch.
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Working...
                  X