Fret Dressing or Refret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Dressing or Refret?

My 750XL (see the thread in import charvel guitars for pics) I think is in need of a fret leveling. I notice in some spots they aren't as even as they should be. At frets 1-3 there are a couple of spots where there are little dips below 3 of the strings.

I am wondering first, if these guitars are originally made with jumbo frets; I suspect they are low wide, what are they?

And second of all, how would a person know wether to get a fret dressing ($100 aproximately) or get a complete refret ($300+)

Let me know

Re: Fret Dressing or Refret?

I had a similar problem.......i ended up just going with a fret dress and it came back great! I can suggest taking it in and asking what they think needs to be done......chances are a fret dress will cure the problem. However in the case of the dips. You would need to replace the frets. I am no guitar tech though so take it in and see what they say is my advice...Goodluck!!
    www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

My 750 is getting a fret dress as we speak. I had the same 'dips', or dimples - and had plenty of fret height. YMMV...
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Yeah, it depends on the condition of the frets. If they are in their original state, you should be fine with a fret dress.

You'd be surprised what correctly leveled frets will do to the playability and tone of the guitar. Go for it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I am wondering first, if these guitars are originally made with jumbo frets; I suspect they are low wide, what are they?

[/ QUOTE ]
          I think they all came with jumbos. If your frets are low and very wide, that could indicate that a few previous fret levellings were done to it. In that case you may want to go with a total refret/leveling/crowning. My Model 6 is like that, but it's still fully playable, so I will keep using it until i have to get it refretted.

Comment

Working...
          X