Kahler to Floyd Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler to Floyd Mod

Thinking of having a Kahlered Charvel Floyded. Complicated? Do you have the guitar repainted? What all does it take for a professional job and where could I have it done? I'm in the Maryland area.

Re: Kahler to Floyd Mod

More specific: What exact Charvel are we chopping up here?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      More specific: What exact Charvel are we chopping up here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chopping? Not exactly sure what you mean by that and also dont see what difference it makes regarding models and such. Its a simple question to what I'm sure is a complicated "mod".

Comment

Fine. Your on yer own.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Fine. Your on yer own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...........I suspected as much.

Comment

Many collectors,myself included,would hate to see a San Dimas Charvel modded from original therefore,most likely would not offer help or info to mod one,so the question is often asked,offense was not intended imo!!
            A solution could be to use another already Floyded body with the Charvel neck & the Kahler lock-nut!!
            That said,it is your guitar,do with it what you wish!!

Comment

Chuck
              On the same note, what if it was a Mod 6?
              Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Obviously to SD Charvie collectors that is not the same,personally I don't like to see any guitar irreversably modded,I'm sure there are Model Series collectors that would but again,Dolans guitar,Dolans decision!!

Comment

I would like to hear what you have to say,Chuck.You obviously have experience in this area. Spill it!...
                  Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Actually I have alot more experience in restoring them back to original Kahler!!LOL!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Actually I have alot more experience in restoring them back to original Kahler!!LOL!!

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Yeah Team Kahler! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Obviously you'd need alot of routing at the rear of the guitar, the floyd would have to be recessed (I think) due to the relative heights of the two bridges, even allowing for the floyd-recess the Kahler recess would be deeper than necessary and there would be 2 obvious screw holes on the face of the guitar left from the screws from rear of the Kahler. The only way to make it look right would be to fill the kahler recess, have the face of the guitar veneered and then the whole thing refinished - expensive! I'd go for a replacement body if it is a bolt on:

If the guitar is an original San Dimas, then this mod would devalue it and remove one more original from the 'pool' (bad thing!)

If the guitar is an import, then it'd not be worth the expense when floyd'd bodies appear on eBay quite regularly.

If it's a neck thru, I guess it depends how much you love the neck profile on the guitar - for the money needed to do a proper job, I'd probably sell it and get one with a floyd.

Obviously, it's you guitar so your call!!
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've done one that was a hardtail 70's Strat that someone Kahlered, and I decided I wanted to put an original style fulcrum trem in it since it was modded already. Not a job for for the novice, it is fairly involved and to be honest it probably will cost a fairly large sum of money if you have a pro luthier do the work! Since I fix my own guitars, and the body had to be refinished anyways because of a previous poor refin, here's what I did (very abbreviated version):
                          First, you have to fill the kahler route, which is easier said than done. I made a block that fit the route tightly, and glued it it.
                          Then, I routed a strip out down the center of the guitar and fit a piece of wood there, so there will be no tell-tale Kahler 'sink hole'.
                          Then I had to determine exactly where the new bridge needed to be. I then routed the hole thru the guitar where the trem block goes with a special routing jig and bearing bit. Once I had that done, it is easy to line up the back route for the springs. Once again I used a special routing jig and bearing bit and routed that out.
                          Once I had the routing all done, I fitted the new bridge and spring claw.
                          Once it was all done, I prepped the body for the refin and shipped it off to Lee Garver. When I got it back, this is what it looked like:

Comment

Picture of the back in the raw where you can see the kahler plug hole in the cavity.

Comment

keep it kahler
                              or sell it to me [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X