Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any difference between neck and bridge pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any difference between neck and bridge pickups?

Hey, there! I want to put my stock bridge SH1 on the neck, instead of '59. Will any issues arise with it, because it's a bridge pickup? I just want to play around with that.
    Thanks!

Re: Any difference between neck and bridge pickups?

It will have more output and be bass heavier (*sorry, dunnoi where my head was when I wrote "brighter"*) than the same pickup as a neck model, but depending on what´s in the bridge that shouldn´t be an issue.

But the SH-1 IS the ´59... do you maybe mean putting the TB-4 JB in the neck?? That I wouldn´t do, the poles will be way off (I wot say anything against the JB in the neck, it´s one of my faves)

Comment

Zerbius is right - SH1 is the '59.

When Gibson first designed humbuckers, there was no neck or bridge pickups. Same with Fender and single coils on a strat.

Duncan got the idea that neck pickups should be weaker then bridge pickups because by the neck, strings vibrate more causing a more powerful signal. The neck would be too loud compared to the bridge.

So with Duncan, neck models are weaker versions of bridge models.

To answer your question, the issue you will have is if you put a weaker pickup in the bridge, the neck pickup will be louder than the bridge. Is that an issue?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Hey, there! I want to put my stock bridge SH1 on the neck, instead of '59. Will any issues arise with it, because it's a bridge pickup? I just want to play around with that.
        Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've put bridge-designed pups in the neck without a problem. Sometimes, I need to bring the pickup way down, away from he strings, to match the output of the bridge.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          the poles will be way off

[/ QUOTE ]

Au contraire, Mon Frere, the JB in the neck of my NASL aligns perfectly with the strings. However, it is an SH-4 and the guitar has a trem, so I can't say for sure if a TB-4 will align as well.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah, JB is what I was talking about. Is it stronger than a neck JB? Does it have more treble/bass? Should I put it on?
            Thanks. Sorry for not responding for months [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

The JB was designed for the bridge, there is no neck version. But like Zerb said, it sounds pretty good in the neck.

Comment

Try it! Forge your own path!

Comment

Working...
                X