Pickup lead too short - What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup lead too short - What to do?

Got a Jazz off of ebay for my mutt and damn if the hot wire isn't about 1/2" too short to connect to the 3-way lever switch. Just need some verification that I'm about to do the right thing: Using 22 gauge standard wire, solder an extension to it and then wrap it in heat shrink to protect the connection. I'm not sure if the 22 gauge is the correct wire to use since the hot wire is much smaller. [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Pickup lead too short - What to do?

The power generated by a pickup is so small that as long as you aren't using hair thin wires you are ok. 22 should be fine - going oversize is not a problem.

Comment

Yeah, small extensions are fine, and the only thing about using fatter wire is it will be quite difficult to bend and get to fit nicely in the cavity, not to mention getting everything soldered up.

But soundwise, I dont think it will change anything. You'll want to use stranded wire though. The solid is alot more fun to work with, it strips easy and all, but when you bend the wire, it can seriously weaken the connection. But with stranded, if one of the wires go, you still have 20 other wires picking up the signal.

Comment

I'm using a 5" extension for the neck pickup in my Rhoads, and it works fine. When you get into these lengths you may pick up some additional interference though.

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. Yeah, stranded wire all the way. I'm not expecting any problems since I'm only adding an inch. What I don't get is why SD wastes all that lead having the wire exit the pickup on the left when your pickup wire routes are on the right. Does it have something to do with the way the pickup is wound? Just curious.
          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
          X