Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is "standard zebra" and which is rev. zebra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is "standard zebra" and which is rev. zebra?

This is about zebra coil humbuckers, and has been bothering me for a while.

I know that a "zebra" has one black coil and one creme coil. On some zebras the "outer" coils are creme, and on others it is the inner coils...but which is which? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Re: Which is \"standard zebra\" and which is rev. zebra?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...versezebra.htm

I hope that helps [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Which is \"standard zebra\" and which is rev. ze

Totally. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

STOP!

Seymour is f'd in the head on this one. When zebras first came on Gibson PAF's in 1958/1959 the white bobbins had the slugs and the black bobbins got the adjustable pole pieces.

So if you go back to the originals, this is standard, and reverse is white coil with poles and black coil with slugs.

When thinking of which looks better, I like the standard "black coils with poles" look, because the neck is dark and goes with the dark pickup bobbin. Bridge just the same for looks.

Of course if you order pickups from SD you must use his backwards terminology or you will end up with the wrong pickup. Just remember other pickup manufacturers might call it differently as well.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the heads-up and explanation Don! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You can always just order them with whatever coil you want a certain color. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh yeah, hot pants pink and pansy purple for me! ...NOT. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh, good to know that SD has it's own regular/zebra system!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  STOP!

Seymour is f'd in the head on this one. When zebras first came on Gibson PAF's in 1958/1959 the white bobbins had the slugs and the black bobbins got the adjustable pole pieces.

So if you go back to the originals, this is standard, and reverse is white coil with poles and black coil with slugs.

When thinking of which looks better, I like the standard "black coils with poles" look, because the neck is dark and goes with the dark pickup bobbin. Bridge just the same for looks.

Of course if you order pickups from SD you must use his backwards terminology or you will end up with the wrong pickup. Just remember other pickup manufacturers might call it differently as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might explain why the JCF01 guitars had backwards pickups - the screws were on the opposite side of "normal".
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X