My Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kelly

I just put a Tone Zone in the bridge position, and an Air Classic Bridge, in the neck. The guy at Dimarzio suggested useing the brige pup in the neck, and I thought he was crazy.

Boy was I wrong, this thing is so fat sounding both clean and distorted, that it is sickining. When you flip to the Tone ZOne alone, it screams like a Banshee!

I'm not saying that Dimarzios are better than Duncans, because tone is a subjective thing, but I wasted a lot of time trying alot of Seymour Duncans, only to find that I love the sound of the Dimarzios.
    This is the second set I'm using, the other is an Air Norton and a Tone Zone in my Sl-2,and while they sound different in both guitars , they are both ROCKIN. The Dimarzios just sound a little warmer too me.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: My Kelly

sweet! i was thinking of putting a fred and a paf pro on mine. Have you tried them?
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Rick, I'm loving the Duncan Custom and 59 pu's in my new guitar, there are a lot of Duncans to choose from, I think you'd like the Custom in your Soloist.

Comment

Vic,

I had a custom custom in my soloist, and it was almost what I wanted. The Tone Zone is VERY similar to the custom custom, it was just easier for me to get harmonics with it. Plus I don't like Duncans color choices. Black ,white , or zebra. That's all you can get Trembuckers in.

The 59, Came in my soloist and it was pretty close the the air classic as well, big and fat.

Comment

Suck my kiss,

I have played the Fred and it is a bit midrangy sounding, and the Paf pro wasn't quit brigt enough for me. It was very fat , when playing distorted solos, but I didn't like it clean.

Comment

I find it hard to compare pickups.

First, you have to find a place where you can compare the sound of numerous pickups.
            Second, the sound is also very dependent on your guitarbody/shape/woodtype, the amp you normally use and your strings (old worn strings sound dull, brand new strings tend to sound shrill).
            Third, I tend to forget the sound of pickup #1 as soon as I installed pickup #2
            Fourth, I do not even know what I like more: a cold harsh tone, a warm fuzzy tone or something in the middle.

Comment

Shamgar,

Sometimes it was hard deciding between a few models I tried, but I ended up having like 6 different ones at one time , so I got to try them all out on my stuff. I put them in myself and after about 20 installs [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] you become a master at it and get it down to about 10 min. HAHA

Honestly it was harder for me comparing Duncans to each other , than Duncans to Dimarzios.You are right though about the body ,etc. The TOne Zone sounds different in my bolt on Kelly than in my SL-2. The Kelly is poplar and the SL-2 alder.

Comment

Only 10 minutes? does that include putting on new strings, retuning the blasted floyd, or do you have a stringthru on your Kelly?

I don't know any shops here that let you install them into your own guitar. Only know 1, that has a guitar specially modified for quick pickup changing, but that is a battered stratmodel guitar

Comment

So where are the pics, Rick?!? [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just take the springs out of the back of the FLoyd and it comes off the posts. I leave the strings locked at the nut and when I put it back together, it's still pretty much in tune.

I actually had all those pup's laying around my house, to try them. They came from different guitars that I had gotten rid of when I got the USA.The longest part for me , when changing them is getting the screws in the pup with those little springs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

We want pics!

That used to be mandatory remember?
                      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X