A wee review of the Seymour Duncan TB10 FullShred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A wee review of the Seymour Duncan TB10 FullShred

Well I got mine installed and well even though it's a TB and I need an SH, here are my impressions. Keep in mind I can only compare it to the Jackson J50BC that was in my Charvel model 4 before the FullShred.

The harmonics JUMP out of it. It was hard getting them out of the Jackson pickups but WOW on the FullShred, no need to force aything.
    The pickup is HOT. It distorts clean sounds quite a lot. I didn't know it'd be that noticeable especially on a SS preamp (POD) and on the blackpanel model. The J50BC stayed clean. That's not a problem for me at all.
    The pickup is very crunch I find. Not too smooth. Once again the aggressivness is not a problem. It's just very different from the Jackson pickup.
    I thought the J50BC was clear. Damn that one must be transparent water compared to it. I don't know if it's the clearest SD or something but wow... each notes ring very well through it. Keep in mind that the guitar non amplified is VERY LOUD and that I can still hear the sound of the strings even with the volume set very loud on the 'amp' (I use a POD through the analog line of a Hi-fi).
    Sustain has greatly improved except on the high strings (TB vs SH...) so as soon as I find the proper allen key I'll raise the polepieces there.
    The sound is TIGHT. While the Jackson was smoother. Maybe not that much more open but it was much less noticeable. I think it's also bassier than the Jackson pickup.
    Just like the Jackson pickup, it never muddies up for lower tunings. Even with the bass knob on the max it's not muddy. On the contrary it gives it this 'mean' edge compared to how I usually rolled it off a little after I tried it.
    Lead er, well first I don't really play lead and then my ear is still forming and not good at all so I won't say much. The sound is a bit more buttery than on the Jackson and that's pretty much all I noticed...
    It's also warmer than it is bright. I thought the basswood would make it very neutral but it seems not. That's another plus for it.

Anyhoo feel free to comment on the Full Shred if you wish, keep in mind that my ears have no experience at all so I can't compare much. If you think I said some BS in there, by all means point it out. Thanks for reading this and I hope it'll make some people want to try one out! A BIG thanks to Theodie for having sold it to me. You're the man!

Re: A wee review of the Seymour Duncan TB10 FullShred

I have one in my Nightswan. It's kinda bright, and it works very nicely for old schoole metal rythms. Not too mention shredding.

Comment

Re: A wee review of the Seymour Duncan TB10 FullShred

I have an older Full Shred I haven't put to use yet (1990's). Still almost new (I used it once). I guess I need more guitars - one for every pickup LOL!

Comment

Re: A wee review of the Seymour Duncan TB10 FullSh

Nice review! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        Definitely sounds like an interesting pickup as an alternetive to my EMGs. I may have to try it out some day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been using a Full Shred in two of my Jacksons, an alder Soloist Pro (replaced a Duncan Custom) and an ash USA DR-2 (replaced a Screamin' Demon), and I'm very impressed. In the ash DR-2, it has possibly the best distorted tone I've ever heard, albeit bright. The low end is tighter than a Custom or JB, but with all the clarity and sustain. In alder, it's a bit darker. I record all of my rhythm tracks with the DR-2, and the Soloist Pro is my main stage guitar.

The Full Shred is a bit too hot for a crystal clear clean tone, but for every other use, I prefer it to the JB (even though I have several JB-equipped guitars) or EMGs.
          sigpic

Comment

and here's a pic... With Budman's pickup ring on it of course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Nice review! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              Definitely sounds like an interesting pickup as an alternetive to my EMGs. I may have to try it out some day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what the description sounds like to me - an EMG81. Was this pickup used by Vivian Campbell (i hope that's who it was LOL!) on early Dio albums? I was playing Last in Line with my EMG81 and it was nailing that bright tone.

Comment

Vivian used Duncan Invaders in his Charvels.

I'm kinda confused now though; Was the full shred really hot enough to distort the clean channel, when there are loads of other Duncans that has it beat for output? (went to the SD site to look) [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] The full shred was rated so low output wise that the EMGs should smoke it for sure - and my 85 just barely distorts the clean patch on my FX-box. Actually now that I've adjusted it down from the strings a little, it doesn't...

Comment

See I've sen some say Invaders (I bought an Invader a long time ago because of this) but then I saw others saying full shred. His tone is very bright and chunky, but you could do that with th amp tone as well.

Comment

Good to see that there was no issues with installing the Full Shred, Pott!

It is my certainly my favorite pickup and is in all my Charvels and Jacksons.

Matter of fact as soon as I purchase a guitar (usually on ebay) the very next thing I do is hunt down another Full Shred to install as soon as the axe arrives.

I should sell my pile of stock Jackson humbuckers that always end up just kicking around after being replaced with that Duncan.

I dunno but it just seems to work so well with the tones that I am looking for and with my Marshall JMP-1 rack.

Enjoy!

Comment

uuh! Change ya strings! This'll improve sound aswell!

Comment

Working...
                      X