Vintage trem radius with Charvel's compound radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage trem radius with Charvel's compound radius

On the model 1a I'm still trying to set up I'd like to know what radius I should use at the trem. The fingerboard is 16"trem/12nut" and right now I set up the bridge for a 12" radius. Would it be better to set it up for 14", something in between?

Re: Vintage trem radius with Charvel\'s compound radius

According to Dan Erlewine's book, set up the nut and bridge to match the radius of your neck.

If you have a compound radius it makes no difference. If the radius at the bridge is 16, set up the ridge to be 16. If the neck is 10, set up the nut to be 10.

So, set up your bridge to be 16. If you don't, your outer E's will be lower than the other strings (you won't be able to get as-low action). The middle stings will be too high from the frets.

Comment

A while back, Dave posted a link to a Charvel ad that did a great job of explaining the compound radius concept. If you picture your fretboard as a section of the surface of a cone it makes sense. The nut is at the narrow end of the section & has the smaller radius. The bridge is at the wider end of the section and has the larger radius. This allows for lower action w/ less neck relief because a consistent distance from string to fretboard can be maintained as the strings "fan out" slightly from nut to bridge. It's f'n brilliant, & one of the reasons why C/J guitars kick so much ass!

Here's the link to the ad Dave posted (.pdf file):

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/images/charvel_ad.pdf

Comment

I used it to remember what radius to use [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I just didn't know for sure if I should have used it (well the radius closest to the bridge) for the bridge.

Comment

Working...
        X