Removing Spray paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Spray paint...

Today while I was downstairs checking the wiring on my input for my jackson I decide to try and remove the amateur paint job that was on the guitar when I bought it. I tried some stuff I had used to remove some paint from the back of the neck called "Oops!" (great name huh?). So anyways I tried it on the inside area of where the electronics were just to see if it would remove any of the paint. Well low and behold (is that the right spelling?) it didn't without a lot of effort.

Anyways what I'm getting at is if you need to remove spray paint from a previously owned guitar or from your own shotty attempts I would suggest using Oops!, cotton pads, and time. You don't even have to press hard just gently rub it over the paint until it comes off. I spent about 3-4hrs today getting off about 65-75% of the paint off my guitar.

thought that it would be a real helpful tip for people to know.

Re: Removing Spray paint...

Cool. You can also use nail polish remover...and time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, I'm like the Wise Old Owl in the Tootsie Pop commercials - One, Two, Three - break out the scraper [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

mineral spirits or naptha will also take spray paint off, and sometimes a little bit faster.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Lacquer thinner is the best and fastest. Unless the original finish was lacquer.......then the word "oops" comes back into play! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
        X