Fretting out with Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretting out with Floyd

Hey, just got a DK1 and haven't done a setup yet. But the first thing I've noticed is that when I pull back on the Floyd, the strings fret out. Sounds like a cat screeching! So I've been fuddling around with the obvious: raise the trem, make sure it's setting right, etc. I have by no means explored all the possibilities, but I just wanted to get some feedback before I continue. I just took the strings off of it and will be putting on 10s in a day or so. I'll play around with it more then.

Oh, and another problem I'm seeing is an unusual one. The strings are also hitting the saddle screws (the ones at the front) when I pull back. I've never seen that before. At risk of screwing up my intonation, I've moved them all back to the second hole so this wouldn't happen ... I was able to keep the saddles in pretty much the same position. I guess I'll see if intonation's okay or not when I restring it.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Fretting out with Floyd

<font color="aqua">Did you buy this new? It's possible that someone changed out the intonation screws with taller "heads". </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Seems I might be having the same trouble as pott in this threat: http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#511210 But I haven't played with the DK1 enough to know for sure.

Comment

Okay, it's restrung with 10s. I turned the truss rod about 1/4 turn counterclockwise to give the neck just a little more relief. I know that will take awhile to settle in, so I'll repost tomorrow if anything significant happens.

There's a bit of buzzing towards the high end of the fretboard, primarily on the bass side. I've adjusted the Floyd to take most of it out but since it isn't affecting the lower frets, I'm leaving it where it is.

Of course, the strings are still fretting out when I pull back far enough on the Floyd, and I think I know why. I've owned my fair share of USAs so I'm comfortable with OFRs, but with the number of imports I've owned outnumbering the USAs, I think I'm much more experienced with JT580LPs.

The saddles on the JT580LP are angled, while those on the OFR sit flat. When pulling back on a JT580LP, the saddles remain angled, and the strings stay high. But with an OFR, the saddles dip down into the recess, and the strings follow. This severely lowers the action when pulling back on an OFR. It's not the same with a JT580LP, which is what I'm used to, so I've never noticed this before.

Of course, I don't have another USA to experiment with this, so would someone out there with a USA please play a note around the 15th or 16th fret, pull all the way back on the OFR and see if it frets out? Thanks.

Comment

Anyone with a USA care to help a bro out? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd still like to see if this is typical of USAs, so if you've got one, please try the above and let me know ... regardless, I did some tinkering and think I've found a solution.

I figured the saddles on a JT580LP are higher, so the strings don't dip down into the trem cavity as much as they do on an OFR. So, I put a shim under the saddles to raise them. I also adjusted the OFR so it would rest back in the cavity just a bit. I usually position them parallel to the body, but now it's tilted slightly back at an angle.

I had to raise the posts a little, but as it turns out, the action is actually lower now, I got rid of the buzz I mentioned earlier, and when I play a note on most of the strings around the 12th - 23rd frets, the strings don't hit the 24th fret and fret out. The G string still does a bit, and so do the low E, A, and D strings, but not near as much. But where I would use this most - on the B and high E strings, there is no fretting out.

So the question then, if I want to also reduce this problem on the other strings, do I need a fatter shim? I'm happy with it like it is right now. I played the DK1 quite a bit after I "fixed" it, and I was able to produce the sounds I wanted ... just have to be a little careful when playing high notes on the lower strings and doing whammy tricks, but I can get used to that. Of course, if anyone else has suggestions, let me know. Undoubtedly, I'll probably take it to a tech for a full set up eventually. I've never taken a guitar to a tech ... but there again, I've never had one that gave me these problems.

Comment

Ok here is a little info for you using my 5 USA Jacksons.
              1. First RR1 does not fret out or hit the saddle screws when the bridge is pulled back and if I pushed down any more I would break a string.

2. Second RR1 same as first. Works perfectly!

3. SL-1 same as RR1's

4. DK-1 no fretting out, but the intonation screw on the high E saddle is on the very last hole near the bridge pup and when the bridge is pulled back a lot, the High E frets out due to hitting the screw because it is so far up.

5. WR-1 same as DK-1

There you go and stop playing with your whammy so much or you'll go blind I tell ya!If you need anything else just let me know!!!

Jeremy

Comment

Okay then [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] that shows me! I guess the floyd just needed a shim then. Seems everything's okay now. I guess the next step is to go to a tech to get a professional opinion. But for now, I'm off to play with my whammy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X