scalloping a fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scalloping a fretboard

Ive got a jackson neck that i want to scallop from the 10th fret up. How deep do i need to go, and whats the best way of doing this. Just get a file and and start shaving stuff away?
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: scalloping a fretboard

Here is a link to a bunch of neck building tutorials with photos at Project Guitar. Just scroll down to the scalloped neck ones! http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial9.htm

Enjoy and you do not have to go deep at all! As always practice on scrap wood before attempting any of these stunts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Good luck and let us know how it turns out because I am building a strat from scratch and I was thinking about doing a scalloped neck!!

Comment

I scalloped a neck in high school. I used a round file first, then sandpaper around a wooden dowel and worked my way down to 400 grit. It came out great! It took me a few days to do it, but I was happy with the results. Just work slow and don't go too deep.

Comment

No no no...everyone knows you grab the fastest rpm belt sander with the heaviest grit sandpaper you can find..and grind on that fretboard til you can see daylight...
        Ok, not really. Good luck and please post pics when finished.

Comment

Here's something not to do. Reading this always makes me happy. Scallopwned

Comment

That thread is Famous, every forum on the net, as soon as someone mentions scalloping a fretboard /scalloped boards in general (or even scallops for dinner), this example of what not to do is posted [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I had forgotten about that poor thing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I wish I hadn't seen it because I too will be scalloping a neck I just got the other day

Comment

I was going to link that Scallopned thread again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I didn't expect what Zerberus said about the scallops for dinner thing though... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh shit that scallopwned thread, I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Thanks for that.

Seriously though, I know a few people have scalloped their own boards, and you don't have to go very deep at all, as long as you got some common sense you will know when it looks right. It may come out a bit uneven, I mean your not a pro so that is to be expected but with some sanding and stuff you should get it to look pretty presentable.

Comment

BWAHAHAHHAHAAHA that scalloped friend is hillarious.

So scalloping isnt a very exact science? what about fretboard beveleling (or whatever it is called when they round out the edges of the fretboard). Do i need to do this?

Comment

Now that is one SWEET scalloping job. Was that done by Mr. Magoo?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I was going to link that Scallopned thread again. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I didn't expect what Zerberus said about the scallops for dinner thing though... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the comment served it´s purpose [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

i scallopped frets 15-24 today. I think i did well for my first time. I started out with a round 1/4th inch file to get depth, and then smoothed out the rough edges with a wooden dowel with 200 grit sandpaper on it.

ill have some pictures later.

edit: here they are!!

Comment

A little deep since you can see the side dots in the fretboard, but the scallops look pretty clean! I say not bad for a first timer! Good Job!! Are you gonna scallop the whole board now?

Comment

I love the "what not to do" thread. "I did it perfect from the 9th fret up, but I think I might have screwed up frets 1 through 8"

That's priceless!

Comment

Working...
                              X