Dimarzio pickups and Duncan JB Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio pickups and Duncan JB Jazz

I'm looking for a Satch kind of lead tone on the neck pup and I was wondering if any dimarzio pups could help ... I have an EMG-81 on my guitar but I'm planning on getting a new axe soon and I don't know which pup to place between a Dimarzio and a Jazz

Re: Dimarzio pickups and Duncan JB Jazz

Well, since Satch uses DiMarzios, go with a PAF Pro or the new PAF Joe they designed for him.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^ beaten waiting for the damn flash webpage to load up..

well dimarzio make a 'paf joe' neck pickup that should give the sound your looking for.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Its relitively new though so you mightnt have heard of it yet http://www.dimarzio.com/flash.htm

Comment

You could also get a FRED. Satch used those for a long time. It's basically a Paf Pro with more mids.
        Good deals with:
        Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          You could also get a FRED. Satch used those for a long time. It's basically a Paf Pro with more mids.

[/ QUOTE ]
          He still uses a Fred, but in the bridge. I don't think he ever used one in the neck.

Comment

Ooops, didn't see where you said neck. Although, I used one in the neck with a Tonezone in the bridge and it sounded excellent.
            Good deals with:
            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

My choice for Satch tone is:

Steves Special in the bridge
              Air Norton in the neck

Comment

I don't necessarily want his exact tone, but I like his crunch for leads and I'd need a bridge pickup that can do Metallica, Iced Earth kind of stuff

Comment

For the bridge, I'd probably go X2N or Super Distortion. The Tone Zone is a good choice, too, with a little less output.

Comment

are they better very close to the stings like the EMGs or a little bit lower ?

Comment

i like my pickups lower they arent as bright to my ears, & i dont like dimarzios because of the ones i have that are old go microphonic, & i hate replacing pickups in "vintage" stuff. even tho the old super distortions sound great.

Comment

Well, like any passive pup, you'll just have to adjust to taste of what sounds best to you. If you keep them too close, the magnet may pull on the strings and cause sound or tuning problems.

Comment

Another good selection would be to go for full Evo's in both the neck and the bridge. The Evolution KILLS in both the neck position and the bridge.

Comment

I somehow achieve the "Always With Me, Always With You" bridge lead tone using my DiMarzio Super 3 (midrange heavy) equipped Soloist and beautiful amounts of reverb. My rhythm tone doesn't mush up like a lot of the later Satch songs.

Hot Rails in the neck for me, but I've only learned one Satch song that requires a neck pickup, and the guitar tone is heavily wah-wahed anyways, so it sounds close enough to me. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X