Buzz with little relief/high action.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz with little relief/high action.

Right now I get buzz pretty much everywhere on the fretboard. The relief appears to be quite small (there definitely is MUCH less than a business card's thickness) and the action is relatively high (right 2.5mm on the 12th fret, low E). I was thinking of addling a little relief and lower the string height at the bridge a little and see what it gives. The other solution would be to shim the nut and lower the action as the bridge too but it's much easier to add a little relief. What do you guys say?

Re: Buzz with little relief/high action.

if its buzzing everywhere on the neck, even with high action, then i think something is up wiht your neck.

Comment

it buzzes less on the higher frets (after the 12th) and the frets were checked and are even. There is very little wear on them.

Comment

<font color="yellow">Sounds almost like the neck is backbowed or in serious need of leveling. 2.5MM is relatively high action.....at least IMO.

How are you determining relief?

Under full string tension using the string as a straight edge, or a metal straight edge??

What kind of bridge?? </font>

Comment

The neck is definitely not backbowed.
          I determine it the proper way... I capoed the first fret, pressed down on the 18th (where the neck joins the body) and there is clearance on all frets but not enough to slide a business card between the 7th and 9th frets and the low E string. I'll check with a metal straight edge but mine is only like 8 frets long or less. And there clearly is relief even with the naked eye.
          It's a vintage strat bridge (6 holes)

Comment

If it were me I would add some relief and lower the Floyd.
            Sounds like you just need a good setup.

Comment

It's a v-trem, not a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

If you're getting open-string buzz (as I have with just about every Fender I've had) you may want a taller nut.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nope the only place where it doesn't buzz is when the strings are open.

Comment

oook I just adjusted it. A LOT of the buzz is gone. I didn't even do a quarter of a turn so there's room for another one tomorrow just in case. The relief doesn't seem a huge deal bigger but there is a neat improvement on the buzzing. Weirdly enough the action is still the same, maybe it'll settle a little higher with time? Anyhoo, should I let the guitar rest in playing position or is it ok to do so flat on its case? I adjusted it in playing position by the way.

Comment

Either way is fine, though for safety's sake, I'd stand the case against the wall in a corner between two larger heavier objects, like a dresser and the wall or entertainment center.
                    This keep drunken clods with big feet from stomping the case.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The family's sober [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I'll try to make it stand.

Comment

It's always best for the guitarist to have more of a buzz than the guitar does! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Haha I live in Holland, we us another kind of... influence.

Ok, is it safe to say that until I can slide a business card between the frets and the straight edge, I have room for more relief?

Comment

I take it you are talking about the new axe you bought?

It seems a lot of people try to shoot for a 100% straight neck, without realizing strings vibrate and don't just sit there straight.

I was guity of this as well. I had my Aria neck too straight for a long time, and thought it was the nut being too short. Gave it a little relief and now it plays like a monster. The fact that it's detuned a half step didn't help either - detuning makes the strings flop around even more.

Comment

Ah I don't like flat necks. The model 4 has a little relief and the 1a a little more right now. And yes it's the new one. Damn she's a beauty [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              For some twisted reason, I love how strings feel right after a truss rod change. Personally I see more tension 'in' the wood, and in the strings... It just feels that the guitar is alive and be er... morphed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Anyhoo I hope I'm not just a freak who'll end up warping necks all over haha!

Comment

Working...
                              X