Removing Painted Pickup Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Painted Pickup Cover

Hello! I have a plastic pickup cover that has been painted to match the guitar's graphic. I want to remove it from the original pickup to put over a replacement pickup that I installed. The cover seems to be set in stone on the original pickup.

Any suggestions on how to remove it without destroying the plastic cover or its paint job?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Removing Painted Pickup Cover

depends on the pickup. is it a jackson covered pickup? i did this with a guitar pretty easily once. is there a seam on the bottom of the pickup that you can get a razor blade in?

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Jackson pickup covers are held on by glue. They do come off pretty easy though. If the pickup is and EMG, I am not sure if you can remove them.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Sully, yes the cover is on a Jackson J80C from a 1989 Soloist. I had a 1988 Dinky with the painted cover and it was fairly easy to pry off. But the cover from this solist I'm trying to remove is stuck on there GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD. I will try a razor blade along the seams.

I could be wrong, but it almost looks like I see a tiny strip of velcro extended just past the edge of the cover. Did Jackson use velcro on occasion to secure the cover to the pickup?

Thanks, Dave

Comment

not sure, really.

be careful, but you may have some success with the razor.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
          X