Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few problems with the model 1a

Look what you made me do:

The body seems flawless. Very few dings and such, the wood is left to be seen nowhere, the paint is intact. But the neck is another problem...

On the treble side, the laquer is almost all gone.
    The scarf headstock joint doesn't seem to be holding too well...
    And the 12th fret has some er... wood missing:

And the side dots are starting to wear off

My take is that the guitar has been refused a lot of TLC on the neck side. The strings were VERY old, I have .105 now (between .10 and .11: the low E is a .48) but I should have used .09s which have less tension since the headstock seems damaged [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ah well... Time only will tell.
    So... what do you guys think this one needs? I liked the sound out of it (though I tried it on a Vox AC30, might be why [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) but the neck worries me. For the price I paid for it, I can't really complain though so it's all good. I just hope to save it.

Re: A few problems with the model 1a

I would have a reputable luthier look at the neck scarf.
    It may just be the finish coming off, but it can be easily be re-glued if needed.
    The rest appear to be relatively minor cosmetic issues.
    Nice purchase... I'm a sucker for maple fret boards. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
    -Rick

Comment

Ok I'm not so worried anymore... How much this cost me you think by the standard rates?
      I know no reputable luthier but well, I'll find.

Comment

If it's just a neck refinish, the guy I used to go to where I live usually charged $60 (US) to sand, fret dress and oil finish a neck.
        Yours looks like it may need a bit more, but not too much.
        Don't know what the going rate is to have the scarf re-glued.
        Never needed to have it done before.
        -Rick

Comment

Thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Anyone else, feel free to drop in a comment or two.

Comment

If it were mine I'd sand all the rest of the finish from the neck and linseed oil it. (not the fretboard or headstock) I'll bet you'll find most of the flaws in the finish only. The scarf joint may be separating but it may not. Get all that clear off there and see what ya got. The part I don't understand is the side dots wearing off??? I always thought those were in there pretty deep, like maybe 3/16" or so anyway.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ok so what's all the paint made off? First there's sanded wood, then clear coat then laquer or what? I have no idea and this kinda got me lost. How to not sand the neck instead of the finish (curiosity, not that I want to do it)
              There's only a little black dot in the side dots and the rest of the dot is very lightish grey.
              Where to find linseed oil?

Comment

this may be of a little help.

you can get boiled linseed oil at most hardware stores.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

But I don't know what clear coat or laquer or anything else is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The neck isn't sticky at all at the moment. And most of the brands and shops are American it seems, I don't know many shops in Holland but I'll go have a look.
                  So how is the Charvel's neck finished then?

Comment

your neck is clear coated, many charvels have an oiled neck.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

So there's only clear coat after the wood then? What is the difference between oil? Is it oil that's sticky like painted neck?

Comment

on the neck, you just have clear coat. an oiled neck feels like raw wood; very smooth and not at all sticky.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

1st: Pick Up yer Room, ya Wanker. We don't need to see yer skivvies and socks. Waddya, movin into yer guitar case? Saddo. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2nd: Play the guitar. a lot. THEN decide if there's problems. Looks like everything's cosmetic to me. From what little I can see. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

Ohhhh I see... I don't think I'd want to try that since I love how it is now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the tips, I'll have a closer look at the stickied thread you gave me.
                            Chuckracer: yeah it's cosmetic, but I can feel it and it does bother me. The guitar also seems to have some big buzzing problem [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] But I'll try to take care of that myself with what I know already.
                            But the more I look at the neck the more I feel it's very weird. Look you can see the difference between the neck and fretboard VERY clearly and the color of the neck is quite awkward and feels bad too. Will this ever be remedied?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              2nd: Play the guitar. a lot. THEN decide if there's problems. Looks like everything's cosmetic to me. From what little I can see. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Looks just cosmetic to me, too. Play the crap out of it and just be happy! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X