Sharkfin inlays on 24fret necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharkfin inlays on 24fret necks

i've been wondering about this a lot lately.
    why dont 24 fret necks have the 24th sharkfin inlay?
    is it a size issue? but i think it would be just as big as the 21st marker.
    is there something else behind it?

it would look much much better with the 24th position inlay. now the last three frets are just blank =/

could someone please shed some light on this?
    You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Re: Sharkfin inlays on 24fret necks

MOP is very delicate material, and the smaller you cut it, the easier it is to shatter and harder to work with. As I understand it, Mother Of Pearl and Abalone are actually similar to particle board or "presswood" - large pieces are made up of hundreds/thousands of tiny fragments glued together, so the smaller you cut it, those fragments begin to crumble.

Believe it or not, a 24th fret inlay would be smaller than the 21st. That's to keep from cutting away too much wood that the fret wire needs for stability.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

otherwise i just don`t think it wouldnt look good......

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        MOP is very delicate material, and the smaller you cut it, the easier it is to shatter and harder to work with. As I understand it, Mother Of Pearl and Abalone are actually similar to particle board or "presswood" - large pieces are made up of hundreds/thousands of tiny fragments glued together, so the smaller you cut it, those fragments begin to crumble.

[/ QUOTE ]
        I don't know about MOP so I can't speak to that but Abalone there is ABLAM (which is laminated pieces as you said cut together to form a tight pattern) I imagine this is also done in some cases with MOP, definitely with Black MOP. You can get full clean sheets of shell but they are more expensive and you never know what kind of figure you will get. I suspect most guitar manufacturing companies use Ablam since its cheaper and it looks better. Just to make it clear, Ablam is not fake, its real shell its just as Newc said, cut and pieced together to make a cohesive pattern to maximize the look.

On a general note, inlaying work is not easy, its like a jigsaw puzzle, I can't say I've noticed the missing inlay on my Kelly, so I doubt Jackson will be adding that missing one anytime soon.

Comment

ah, i see.
          thankyou for clearing that up
          You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Working...
          X