Guitar Wiring Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Wiring Problem

Hello All. This post is an extension of previous post that I had listed. Here is the link...

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#495751

Anyway, I have decided to mess around with a different bridge pickup in a Soloist that has the JE-1000 active electronics.

Well I tried both a Dimarzio Tone Zone and a J90C I had laying around and I loved the sound of either one over the J80C that was originally installed.

Of course, however, I had a pretty good buzz with both the Tone Zone or J90C. I don't know what I could have done wrong. I soldered the HOT to the 5-way switch and the Green & Bare wires to the ground, which is that shield plate on the bottom of the control cavity. The same spot where the J-200 single coils are grounded.

The original J80C had the painted plastic cover, which I have not removed yet. Does the painted plastic cover add that much additional shielding? Because I never had that bad buzz like I had with the Tone Zone / J90C I was messing around with.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could have done wrong? Should I have grounded those pickups to the Volume instead?

Thanks, Dave

Re: Guitar Wiring Problem

I always ground the pickup to the back of the pot, but I am not sure if this is your problem. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

You sure you have the proper ground?
      DiMarzio's wire color scheme is different than most others.
      I know Jackson labled PU's use the SD wiring scheme.

Just a thought.
      -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        You sure you have the proper ground?
        DiMarzio's wire color scheme is different than most others.
        I know Jackson labled PU's use the SD wiring scheme.

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I'm pretty sure I've the right connections. Red is going to the 5-way switch, black & white are soldered together, and the green and bare are soldered to the shield plate at the bottom of the cavity.

I don't know!! I'm starting to get pretty frustrated and ready to chuck out the JE-1000 electronics and just wire up the Tone Zone & J-200 single coils to the 5-way switch and controled by a 500k pot. The thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the J-200's work properly without the low impedance electronics like the JE-1000.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

The J-200's will work just fine without the JE-1000.
          They do sound a bit on the thin side without it though.
          -Rick

Comment

Working...
          X