7 string pickup recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 string pickup recommendations?

Just picked up an RR7R... havent gotten it yet, but Im looking into a new set of pickups for it. I would have gone with EMG's but theres no way in hell Im cutting up the body for them! So Im basically left with Duncan and DiMarzio... which models have you tried/heard, what were their strong and weak points, etc. etc.

Thanks!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: 7 string pickup recommendations?

A friend of mine is a die hard 7 string player, and he uses a SD '59/JB combo in his 7's.

Comment

The JB is a nice bridge choice, although it can be too bassy with the low B. The distortion would be my non-EMG choice. I have EMGs in all my 7 strings, and the 707 is my favorite EMG by far. It is worth the routing to get the EMGs, IMO.
      ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I dunno, I hated the Distortion in my Washburn - the Custom sounds _much_ better in it.

I love the JB, although you have to be careful with the height, or the bass can get overpowering. (I adjusted mine after Division's last recording session because of this...)

In that guitar, being maple/rosewood/alder, the JB would probably be pretty good, since that's basically what my Soloist is made of. (I have an ebony board.)

I do like the EMG 707, too - tonally, it's not all that different from the JB, although it's less bassy...
        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I think Ill give the JB a try... already have one in my DR3R and like it, so I might as well. Ill leave the neck one alone for now, dont plan on using it that much anyway on this guitar.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I recently took the Duncan Designed H/S pups out of my Schecter 007 Elite and put a Duncan Custom in the bridge with a DiMarzio Blaze single for the neck... sounds great to me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know this doesn't have any relation to a 7 string (unless they make these pickups for 7 string) but an EMG 81 and a Hotrails sound pretty similar in a strat. I know this because my friend recorded their first cd with hotrails, and the 2nd cd with EMG. He said they are not THAT far apart tonally, though there is a difference enough to make him switch.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I know this doesn't have any relation to a 7 string (unless they make these pickups for 7 string) but an EMG 81 and a Hotrails sound pretty similar in a strat. I know this because my friend recorded their first cd with hotrails, and the 2nd cd with EMG. He said they are not THAT far apart tonally, though there is a difference enough to make him switch.

[/ QUOTE ]
                They do make an 81 7-string version now, and Duncan *might* make a Hotrails version in the Custom Shop. I haven't seen any rail-type pups made for 7s, but they will indeed make Strat/single coil pups for an upcharge, according to their website.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bareknuckle Warpig. It's like a much better EMG without batteries.

www.bareknucklepickups.com
                  93 USA Soloist EDS
                  USA HT6 Juggernaut
                  Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I am very fond of the Bartolini 493's, myself. Jyust put ina boost as well, and you'll be set. Excellent note definition for soloing, though not as great for just strumming.
                    Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

Working...
                    X