Floyd trem height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd trem height

I just put my Charvel branded Schaller floyd on my USA BC Rich ST-3. It seems as though it was studded for a floyd after all. Its all set up and working great. The only thing is that the trem is very high off the body. When its all set for proper string height and all its a little more than 1/4" from the body surface to the bottom edge of the trem. Its a surface mount deal with no surface routing at all. While this makes for lots of movement either way with the trem, it kinda looks a bit funky and Im worried about the studs being extended so far. There are no shims in the neck pocket and Im pretty sure the neck and body are original to the guitar. (neon orange matching headstock). I dont have any other surface mount floyd guitars and Im wondering if this is just "old school" how it was done, or if this indicates some sort of misallignment of parts, wrong parts, or lousy BC Rich quality control of the era.

Re: Floyd trem height

1/4" off the body is normal. As long as it's level, your action is good and it's working correctly, you're fine.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

agree, sounds good to me

Comment

No need to worry unless your studs start shifting forward, softer wood bodies like Basswood sometimes have a tendency do that. Even my old basswood Tom Anderson did it. Just have to dowel and redrill the holes.

Comment

Sounds just fine to me....

Comment

Mine sits this high at this angle:

Comment

Oh, cool, thats what mine looks like, NOTP. Good to hear. I guess a pic is in order.

I luvs me some orange....

Comment

That's sweet!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Love the three on/off switches, too.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree that it's no big deal. I'd like to add, though, that if you don't like it that high (I don't - personal preference) you can pop the neck off to see if there are any shims in the neck pocket. If so, you can remove some to lower the neck/body angle and set the trem a bit lower.

Comment

No, there are no shims. That was the first thing I checked. I just wanted to make sure that its how the trem was supposed to be and not some messed up thing due to wrong parts or bad setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X