Which OFR Nut to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OFR Nut to use?

I have a 1 11/16th's neck, which means R3 or R4.

I have binding on the neck, but frets that go over the binding to the end of the neck sides (over the top of the binding).

So, I think I want the R4 with wide spacing.

Isn't the R3 is if you have binding tabs at the ends of the frets (like a Gibson) and you want narrow string spacing so that the strings don't get close to the binding material.

Am I right? It just seems like there are a lot of R3's, but fewer R4's out there.

Re: Which OFR Nut to use?

I have R3's on two guitars and prefer the narrow spacing. The difference is actually pretty miniscule but makes a difference as you move up the neck. Doing chords around the nut , like a "D", just seem a little easier to me with the R3.

Comment

I was wondering how much wider it could be.

Have you had R4's, and were they more difficult doing chords?

Comment

I've had both R4 and R3 nuts. There is very little difference between the two.

Comment

R3 keeps the strings from pulling off of the side of the neck. If you've got binding on that nut width I'd go R3
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Ditto, I have a R4 on one of my 1-11/16" necks, and I'm swapping it out for an R3. The R3 is a tad shorter than the R4 (Why??) so I will have to make a shim so it is the correct height.

Comment

I wish someone would make a sticky on this supject. It seems to to be a common subject of conversation.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

The difference in spacing is very minor, but that slight difference can help if the strings are close to fret side bevel with an R4 nut like mine is.

Comment

Thanks guys. A sticky would be good. I have binding, but the frets go over the top of the binding. In one sense, it sounds good to have the strings further apart (more real estate), but having them go off the fretboard can't be fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X