Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SC size humbucker for bridge in model 1a, metal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC size humbucker for bridge in model 1a, metal.

For a basswood body with a vintage trem and a maple neck/fretboard. I'm looking for enough output to do metal but I want it to clean decently (I'm using the blackpanel model on the POD so perfect cleans aren't needed) and to remain clarity. Tight bass is a plus, otherwise I'm looking for a good amount of mids. Whether it's bright or warm doesn't matter much to me really. You may suggest any brands of pickups. It HAS to be a humbucker though, but in Single Coil size. So far the competitors are:
    Seymour Duncan JB jr, Lil' Screaming Deamon, Hotrails and the DiMarzio Fast Track 2 and Tone Zone S.
    Thanks for any tips or other suggestions!

Re: SC size humbucker for bridge in model 1a, meta

If you get a chance, give a look at the DiMarzio SH2.
    Stacked hum in a single coil design.
    Can get aggressive and dirty when needed, but cleans up very nicely.
    I ordered one as a replacement for the DD in my PC3 but decided to put it in my strat for grins to see what it could do in the bridge position. Very impressive.
    It's still there so I had to get another for my PC3. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    -Rick

Comment

Could it also be placed in a neck or middle position? If I buy a pickup I don't like, I'll then try it in the neck of the model 1a, or middle and neck position on my model 4. I'll go check the SH2.

Comment

I actualy orderd the SH2 to be a middle position replacement.
        It can installed in any position.
        -Rick

Comment

And it is a real humbucker... eh not a bad idea at all! I'll check it out thanks!

Comment

Dimarzio Fast Track 2 (DP182). I put one in a mid-90s Charvel Traditional I used to have, and it was smokingly hot. Puts a lot of full-sized humbuckers to shame. And killer tone, too.

Comment

FYI... it's an HS-2 (DP-116) not an SH2... keep getting my Seymour and DiMarzio numbers mixed up.
              And the cool part is, you can coil tap it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              -Rick

Comment

JB Jr, Hot Rails *neck model* in the bridge (not as bright and brittle as the bridge model - a bit warmer), or the Classic Stack.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Classic stack for metal? Would it work you think?
                  And would the Hotrails neck have enough output in the bridge position? I could always 'tame' it using its volume control if I got the bridge version.

Comment

It's not that the Hot Rails Bridge is too hot, it's too ratty sounding (too bright and distorted-Strat tone with more bite than balls).

The amp is going to give you the gain, not the pickup. The pickup is going to give you the tonal flavor you're looking for (humbucker or single coil), but if you're doing Death Metal, that's gotta come from the amp.

If you're wanting a humbucker tone in a stacked humbucker, the Classic Stack and JB Jr are the closest I've heard. Just make sure you use a 500K pot - 250K pots are for true single-height singles.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pott,

One of my favorite HM pickups is the Burstbucker 2 in my LP Historic. It has punch, a fat bass, and a nice top end = easy harmonics. 8.25K Alnico 2.

If you take the hottest pickup you have and plug it into a really whimpy amp, you will not get a metal sound (i.e. the reverse is not true).

Distortion and gain come from the amp/pedal, not the pickup. Choose the pickup with the right amounts of bass, mids, and treble that will make the distortion sound good.

The only thing a higher output pickup give you is the ability to pick up weak signals better, like if you have weak hammer-ons.

Comment

Ahh I think I see... So without a tube amp, a higher output isn't too useful I guess?
                        I must say the pickup I have now has an output of 'only' 8.6. Anything around this line for me is heavy enough I guess. But I also am planning on getting a tube amp and that's also part of why I'd prefer a slightly higher output. I see what you mean though...Thanks! All the ones I listed have the correct values in their tone charts. All that matters now is the tight bass and that it sounds open and with loads of mids in a basswood body.

Comment

Before I forget - another thing is getting the right pickup for the guitar - different types of wood impact the tone - but in the end, you are still trying to get the correct amounts of bass, mids and treble.

What tube amp are you getting? If you are looking a something from the 50's, I could see why you want high output. Even Marshalls up to the 80's needed help from a higher output pickup (hence the DiMarzio Super Distortion). But anything lately typically has enough gain for Metal. I have a pair of Laney AOR's from the mid 80's that kill. My DSL100 high gain channel (when on ultra) has so much gain, high output pickups sound crappy when everything is dimed through it. It's designed to juice up the whimpiest strat pickups.

For Basswood, like I said before the Jackson J90C kills, but you need a single.

I'd go with what Newc said. I think Basswood has a natural warm bottom, so you want a brighter pickup with it. Maybe a hot rails might be a good match for it? You have to try it and find out. I have an EMG81 in my other Basswood body, and I'm still getting used to the screamin' high treble.

Comment

I'm probably getting a Laney LC15 which I'll boost into metal overdrive.
                            I once played my model 4 (Jackson J50BC) through a JCM800 combo with an mxr microamp in front. It was the most amazing tone ever. Not that much gain, but so clear and powerful. Very CoB like actually. It's not what I'm seeking that much and that amp would probably be too much right now but well...
                            Yeah based on the samples I heard it's either a hotrails or DiMarzio Tone Zone S.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Dimarzio Fast Track 2 (DP182). I put one in a mid-90s Charvel Traditional I used to have, and it was smokingly hot. Puts a lot of full-sized humbuckers to shame. And killer tone, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1, it totally rips. Killer pickup.

Mike
                              Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Working...
                              X