J100 vs J200: most single coil sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J100 vs J200: most single coil sound?

Which of the J200 and the J100 sounds most like a single coil? I'm getting a model 1a and I'm thinking of swapping the neck J100 in there for a J200 from the model 4, and get the J100 in the model 4.

Re: J100 vs J200: most single coil sound?

AFAIK the J200 isn't really a single, it's a stacked hum.
    so probably the J100 offers the me SCish sound.
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

That's pretty much it. The J100 is a true single coil and the J200 is stacked.

Comment

I see. I'll probably wait a bit after I get the model 1a and do tries. What I had in mind would have been to exchange everything at the same time but yeah... I'll wait.
        To me the J200 sounds quite Single Coil like though. It's still not 'the real thing' compared to the J100? I figured the stacking would make it sound like a humbucker so I was surprised when I heard it.

Comment

IMO the J-200 has a great single coil sound. It sounds similar to the Duncan Classic Stack. Still has that single coil sound, but with a bit more output. I have a 1975 Fender strat with original pickups and it sounds good, but I'm just used to my pickups having a bit more juice.

Thanks, Dave

Comment

Mhmmm I think I'll switch out the middle pickup from the 4 then since I barely use it, and put it on the neck of the 1a. I won't lose anything this way. And indeed I think the J200 are pretty good, I like them. Great cleans out of them.

Comment

I like the J100's. I think they have a nice sound.

Comment

I've got a couple of J200 pickups wired as passives on my Charvel 475 (without the midboost board) and I like them, they sound like single coils without the humming noise.

Comment

Are the J200s wired so you can split it and only use the top coil? If they're designed like the DiMarzio HS series, that'll get you a little more output at the expense of the hum cancelling.

Comment

I don't believe you can split the coil on the J-200. Looking at the ones I have in my Soloist, I see the HOT going to the 5-way switch and the other to the ground.

Dave

Comment

Nah, the J200's are single conductor. Can't split the coils.

Comment

I wasn't very clear; I know that's how it is at the switches. But can you see the coil 1 end/ coil2 beginning spliced or taped together at the pickup, or is that connection hidden internally?

Comment

My J200's at least have only hot + ground coming out of the pickup. They can't be split.

Comment

Unless you take them apart and rewire...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Unless you take them apart and rewire...

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is essentially impossible becasue they´re encased in Resin a lá EMG [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I prefer the J-200s just a bit over the Duncan Classic Stacks, but find the J100s a bit truer, esp. the J-100V... The J-100XL on the other hand matches real well with hot hummies at the cost of the vintage vibe ...

Comment

Working...
                              X