Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to strip the finish off a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to strip the finish off a guitar?

What is the best way to do this? I'm thinking about stripping the finish off my Model A and leaving it bare wood. Any suggestions on how to do this with the least amount fuss?

Re: Best way to strip the finish off a guitar?

technically, there are 3 ways to do this:

-1) by sanding off the old finish

-2) by using a chemical to remove the old finish

-3) by using a heat gun to remove the old finish

I personally use a combination of 1 and 2.

And I wouldn't suggest you leave it bare wood, you should protect the wood with a sealer or oil finish minimal IMO, otherwise it will suffer from moisture etc..

Comment

I used to always sand (not all the way to the wood), but this time I tried the chem remover. I got the stongest of the brand, and the paint was still stronger. Plus, it makes a big mess. But if you need to go to the wood, chem and sand are your best bet.

Ideally, just sand down the existing paint until you get a good surface to work with, and start from there (assuming you don't have paint incompatablities).

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the heat gun thing or maybe using a power sander.

I was going to use oil on the wood once its stripped. Any suggestions on which kind to use?

Comment

if it's polyester, you'll have to break it (or sand it) off; no stripper will put a dent in it. shit's practically bulletproof. after you've got it down to bare wood, clean it with some mineral spirits, and you can use tung oil or danish oil on it. experiment with some tinted oils if you like. i'm finishing up a body for a jcf member; it's a mahogany body with cherry tinted danish oil and a bit of wax on it. it's pretty keen, to say the least.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Be very careful if you use a power sander.
            I learned that the hard way. The first time out, I almost ruined a perfectly good body with a B&D Mouse. Fortunately I was able to correct the damage caused by my overly aggresive technique.
            -Rick

Comment

I avoid using chemical strippers on anything porous such as wood. You're just asking for headaches down the road. Start with a fairly aggressive sandpaper (80 grit) and as soon as you start seeing wood switch to 120 grit. When it's all bare wood go to 180 followed by 320. Use a hand block or a jitterbug sander to keep everything nice and flat, and take your time around the edges. This is a very "condensed" version of the process but with a little practice you can strip a poly finish in a couple of hours and have a nice clean smooth piece of wood to work with.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

there is a spray chemical stripper that on OLD C/Js it removes the finish but leaves the white primer perfect. its in a copper colored can & i dont remember the brand. im not sure if model series used the same type of paint but i used it on a 84 charvel body & it worked awesome.

Comment

I stripped my model 2 around ten years ago and really regret it now - thanks alot Nuno [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Like Sully said, polyester is really tough: I used a heat gun and a scraper, and that was a total pain and I ended up with gouges everywhere...it was not one of my proudest moments!
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

<font color="aqua">You guys are doing way too much sanding [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Learn to use and sharpen a cabinet scraper and you'll make a lot less work (and dust!) for yourselves:

Here's a great article I came across when I just checked google:

CLICK ME!!! </font>
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

i took the finish off my JS-20 body. it was almost like a plastic molding around the body, the chemical stripper basically just sat on top of it and didnt do shit. i had to take a razor blade and chisle and just pop the paint off. i dont know what kind of paints they are using these days but its fucking ridiculous

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        <font color="aqua">You guys are doing way too much sanding [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Learn to use and sharpen a cabinet scraper and you'll make a lot less work (and dust!) for yourselves:

Here's a great article I came across when I just checked google:

CLICK ME!!! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave.. I'm gonna take you up on that, does make sense.. alot! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

either way you do it...its too much work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            either way you do it...its too much work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you do it with an industrial sandblaster! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] You just have to watch out for the neck pocket (for bolt on guitar neck bodies) or you will erode it away. Mask the neck pocket with duct tape real good. Works really fast. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              i took the finish off my JS-20 body. it was almost like a plastic molding around the body, the chemical stripper basically just sat on top of it and didnt do shit. i had to take a razor blade and chisle and just pop the paint off. i dont know what kind of paints they are using these days but its fucking ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be polyester, sir.
                              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                              Sully Guitars on Facebook
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X