fixed bridge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixed bridge question

I've got a Peavey Patriot with a fixed, top load bridge. I'm considering replacing it with a newer bridge, but aftermarket parts all seem to be the rear load kind. My question is: 1) does anybody know why top loaded bridges are so hard to find?, and 2) is it possible to convert a top loaded guitar to be fitted with a rear loaded fixed bridge? I realize some careful drilling would be involved....

Re: fixed bridge question

got pics? i dont understand but a badass bridge is one of my favorites.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have pics, nor the capability to take pics and post (at least not at this time). Basically, the bridge is attached to the body by three screws and the strings travel over height adjustable "saddles", and rather then going down into the body (loaded through the back), the strings go through holes at the bottom of the bridge, right next to the adjustment screws (thus, top loaded). If I can find an example, I'll post it.

Comment

So, you would need to get a fixed bridge string through the body type, the six string ferruls and do some very careful drilling. I would use a drill press if you hope to get any kind of accuracy. Seems do-able to me.

Comment

That's kinda what I thought, and that a drill press would be a must. I'm not much of a wood worker, but my neighbor has a son whose a whizz at this sort of thing.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

This ?

Comment

What's wrong with the current bridge?

There are many styles to choose from - tailpiece only, bridge and tail, string through and bridge....

If your intonation is off, you won't like it - know what you are doing.

Comment

Working...
              X