Gibson tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson tuners

Does anyone know if the nicer Grover tuners like on a Les Paul Custom are a direct replacement for the ones like on a Standard, Studio, etc. I want to replace the ones on my Heritage and I like these, but I dont wanna do a lot of drilling or reaming.

Re: Gibson tuners

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know if the nicer Grover tuners like on a Les Paul Custom are a direct replacement for the ones like on a Standard, Studio, etc. I want to replace the ones on my Heritage and I like these, but I dont wanna do a lot of drilling or reaming.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I did this with my old Standard. It is not drop-in per say. You still have to ream those holes bigger. But you don't have to drill extra screw holes. Do you have the Kluson-type right now?

Comment

Yeah. I've always been impressed with the nicer kind that the LPC's have though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Yeah. I've always been impressed with the nicer kind that the LPC's have though.

[/ QUOTE ]
        The conversion should be exactly like I mentioned I am guessing then. If you are doing it yourself tackle the reaming job from the back of the headstock and don't use powertools. Use a reamer instead and try to fit the new tuner in after every turn.

By the way, just to make sure you are thinking about the Grover kidney beans right?

Comment

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acces...chine%20Heads/

Using that as a reference, basically I want to replace the PMMH-010s with the PMMH-015s.

Comment

Ok, the conversion will be exactly like I said, as that Grover also is the same thing, necessarily with a different machine head. At the end you will one screw per Machine Head exposed.

Comment

If your vintage style tuners have the screw in bushings, you may not have to ream out the hole, or just very slightly. Probably best to just get a small reamer from a tool store, or a round file can work as well in a pinch if you are careful. DON'T use a hand drill! A lot of times the Grover mounting screw will line up with the original hole.

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas!

Comment

if you look around on ebay grover made tuners that use those pushin front bushings. they dont make them anymore & im not sure if you will need to still ream the holes larger or not. but check ebay grover made alot of weird tuners back in the day that they do not make anymore. also if you see ones with stars or circles on the back of the gear covers they are reversible so dont worry if its 3on3 or 6inline, you can reverse which side the tuner bottons go on.

Comment

Working...
                  X