PC1 pickup change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 pickup change

Since my PC1 never sold, and I really like the feel of it, I'm thinking about changing the bridge pickup. I'm thinking maybe an SD TB-6 would work with the mahogony body or an EMG-81 if I get ambitious.

I like the Super 3 sound for rhythm but not for leads. Specifically when playing harmonics it sounds pretty lame. Anyone have good ideas for a more lead-oriented pickup?

Re: PC1 pickup change

I'm the opposite... I find the Super 3 awesome for a biting, searing lead with lots of midrange to cut through the mix and stand out.

Shredmonster will be along any second now to praise the Duncan Custom 5 in the PC1! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

It sounds good in the low and mid-range, but higher stuff sounds weak. Pinch harmonics in particular are very weak. Guess I should add what sort of tone I'm actually looking for...some of my favorite lead tones are those of Jason Becker (Altitudes), John Sykes (circa 1987 Whitesnake), Gary Moore's heavier stuff, etc

Comment

I think the Duncan SH11 Custom Custom is rock solid for leads.
        Got tons of bite and and is still fat enough to punch out the rythym as well. You'll definately want to upgrade the vol and tone to some CTS 500k or 1M pots if you go with the SH11.
        -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'm the opposite... I find the Super 3 awesome for a biting, searing lead with lots of midrange to cut through the mix and stand out.

Shredmonster will be along any second now to praise the Duncan Custom 5 in the PC1! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehehehehehehehe! I'm tellin' ya from exerpience it sounds great!
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Hmm the super 3 and PC1 in general are growing on me, going to keep it stock for the time being

Comment

Try adjusting the pickup's height - that has a lot to do with how it responds.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Be careful when adjusting the pickup height.
                If the sustianer driver and humbucker are too close to the strings, it will actually defeat the sustainer.

Sustainer driver must be between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch from the strings and the humbucker between 1/32 and 1/8 of an inch for the system to function properly.
                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                X