Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with custom wiring on a Model 6 please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with custom wiring on a Model 6 please?

I want to rewire my Model 6 so that the three on/off switches control their respective pickups kind of like stock but without the mid boost.

What I want that is a little different is to have the last two knobs wired like a Strats tone knobs. That is neck tone and middle tone.

How can I do this in relation to each individual on/off switch?

Re: Need help with custom wiring on a Model 6 plea

You should be able to run a wire from where the hot lead of the pickup goes into the switch to the end lug of the tone pot. Then run the center lug into one lead of a capacitor, and solder the other end of the capacitor to ground. The other end lug will be unused. Do the same for the other pickup. A .022 or a .047 cap should work well with the single coils.
    Hope this makes sense.

Comment

But...the Model 6 has wires connecting the "hot" side of the on/off switches to each other, like a hot signal "bus" (to be using computer tech terminology). Wouldn't this cause problems? That's how my Model 6 was wired up anyway...

Comment

Does that mean that I need to isolate each on/off switch from each other and run them individually to the master tone lug?

Comment

I would think yes, but I can't say for sure. I've personally never bothered with individual tone controls, so I'm a bit lost on this one.

Comment

You are kind of limited with your options. Run the wire from the lug you solder the hot lead of the pickup to. That way the tone control should only work when that pickup is engaged. Isn't that what you were going for?

If you hook the wire up to the sides that are all linked together, then the tone controls will work on all the pickups no matter which one is engaged (like the stock configuration), and makes one of the tone controls redundant.

Comment

Working...
            X