Trem Spring vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem Spring vibrations

On my Fender Mexi strat when I play the lower strings I've started getting a really bad trem spring vibration. I changed strings 3 weeks ago and it just started this week. Any idea how to remedy this other than sticking a rag in the cavity?
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Re: Trem Spring vibrations

Foam under the springs.

Comment

Replace the springs, claw, and claw bolts with some screw-in hooks (cup hooks, etc), or block the trem from behind.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that the claw has been tightened so the bridge is flat on the body of the guitar.
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that the claw has been tightened so the bridge is flat on the body of the guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Then putting foam around the springs will work great for you. =)

I've been having a bit of a problem with my guitars because of this, because I like floating trems - but when I put padding under springs, the trem gets trouble returning to zero after use. =/

I've read that some people just put shoelaces through the springs, and I have yet to try that though.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I've read that some people just put shoelaces through the springs, and I have yet to try that though.

[/ QUOTE ]
            I was just about to suggest that. Thread a shoelace down the centre of each spring. One lace should do it.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Steve Vai stuffs the trem cavity with tissue paper.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                I tried that once, and it didnt dampen the sound at all lol

Comment

Use the good 2-ply [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

For v-trems that won't be used, I'd suggest blocking the thing off completely and remove the springs, but for floating non-OFR trems I'd say get genuine OFR trem springs. From what I've seen over the years, OFR trem springs either have some sort of coating on them, or they're just a better-quality steel, but they don't resonate half as bad as Schaller or other copy springs.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I put a wad of cotton batting in the cavity and voila!! No more ringing or creaking noises.
                    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I know of someone who puts bent Pipe cleaners inside the springs. I never tried it, but sounds like a good idea.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        For v-trems that won't be used, I'd suggest blocking the thing off completely and remove the springs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. Where's your ground wire? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

I just use really thin foam under the springs. Just thick enough to touch the springs without getting caught in the spring coils when returning from a divebomb.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            I tried that once, and it didnt dampen the sound at all lol

[/ QUOTE ]

back to the drawing board! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]
                              For v-trems that won't be used, I'd suggest blocking the thing off completely and remove the springs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. Where's your ground wire? Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[/ QUOTE ]
                              The ground wire would be connected to the spring claw, not the springs. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X