Gibson Owners - Public Service Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Owners - Public Service Announcement

Recently, I've seen a couple of people selling white Les Pauls and SGs. Usually, these guitars, as well as white Flying Vs, come in a tan case with pink lining. There is usually a pink, satin type cover that lays across the instrument.

A couple of years ago, it was brought to my attention by my tech that the satin cover should be removed from the case. He stated that over time, the pink coloration would bleed onto the white guitar finish. At first, I was skeptical as hell. But my tech keeps a photo journal for repair reference and he showed me a picture of a V with a slight pink shade on the upper wing. He stated that it was not an isolated case and that he had seen it several times on Custom SGs.

So you may be asking yourself, why would Gibson place a cover in a case that MIGHT discolor an instrument? Here's a better question: Why does Gibson do a lot of things that they do?

Mr G
    "POOP"

Re: Gibson Owners - Public Service Announcement

<font color="aqua">You make this sound like a bad thing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

j/k...thanks for the tip! </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

thanks man, thats probably why they went with the black lining on the new ones.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        <font color="aqua">You make this sound like a bad thing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
        LOL You'll be buying those cases just to turn your guitars pink! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
          LOL You'll be buying those cases just to turn your guitars pink! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">now there's a guy that knows me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I always cut those dumb satin covers out because it was a pain in the ass to deal with them.

Comment

I never understood their purpose - the lid is lined, so why the blankie? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I never understood their purpose - the lid is lined, so why the blankie? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is to keep the nitro finish from cracking. You are supposed to open the case, let everything acclimate to the ambient tempature, them remove the silk cover......believe it or not. Going from cold to warm too quickly can check the nitro finish.

Comment

Lets back up there Pedro. If you really want to "do it right," you shouldn't even think of opening your case until the guitar has neutralized to the surrounding temp. That silk cover doesn't do squat in the acclimation process. Please explain to me how it prevents finish checking. Thanks

Mr G
                  "POOP"

Comment

G, how'd you know his name was Pedro [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And wow! Cevtv, that's a good low member #, now there is a man who knows how to lurk!
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

With all the plasticizers Gibson dumps in their lacquer these days, it takes quite a temp jolt to get them to check. That's why Tom Murphy has to cut all the weather checks into the aged guitars with an exacto knife.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        G, how'd you know his name was Pedro [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I be smart like dat! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                        "POOP"

Comment

I pulled my pink cover the day i got my explorer not cause I was afraid of the bleed but the damn thing was always getting tangled up.never saw the need for them anyways.

Comment

Working...
                          X