Paintyourownguitar.com -- sorry if a repost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paintyourownguitar.com -- sorry if a repost

Anyone got this book? Any good? I've got two guitars I'm thinking about refinishing, and I would like to know if this book would help. http://paintyourownguitar.com

--Dan
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Re: Paintyourownguitar.com -- sorry if a repost

Paint is paint. It doesn't matter whether it comes from a spray can or a $500.00 spray gun. The preparation, spray technique, drying time, and final finishing/polishing will determine the end result as far as initial cosmetics go. The problem is making it last. If you want something that will retain its finish quality over time forget the can. Eventually it will chip, peel, crack, shrink, and lose its shine under normal use. I suppose if the guitar wasn't to be played and could be sealed in an environmentally controlled container it would be ok for awhile. This isn't mean't to discourage anyone from trying it, but there is no substitute for a job done correctly with the proper paint and equipment.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Paint is paint. It doesn't matter whether it comes from a spray can or a $500.00 spray gun. The preparation, spray technique, drying time, and final finishing/polishing will determine the end result as far as initial cosmetics go. The problem is making it last. If you want something that will retain its finish quality over time forget the can. Eventually it will chip, peel, crack, shrink, and lose its shine under normal use. I suppose if the guitar wasn't to be played and could be sealed in an environmentally controlled container it would be ok for awhile. This isn't mean't to discourage anyone from trying it, but there is no substitute for a job done correctly with the proper paint and equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to this guy - he knows what he's talking about!

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Eventually it will chip, peel, crack, shrink, and lose its shine under normal use. I suppose if the guitar wasn't to be played and could be sealed in an environmentally controlled container it would be ok for awhile. This isn't mean't to discourage anyone from trying it, but there is no substitute for a job done correctly with the proper paint and equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

So my Gibson Les Paul Standard as well as my USA Jacksons were all painted with spray cans?

All finishes do that "under normal use". It's called "wear". You get that when you play a guitar [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

I have the book, and it's fairly thorough, but one thing I'd suggest is that you should have a large, enclosed shop/garage to work in that has good ventilation and good lighting, and you need to watch the local temperature/humidity - can't use paint below 50F and above 75F, and the humidity has to be kinda low.
        I live in TN and can't finish my project until sometime in October when the weather cools off. Hopefully the humidity will drop as well by then. If not, it'll be next spring/summer before I can touch it.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Somehow I knew Newc would have this book. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, I did look at it and it's probably a little advanced for my needs. I got some cool ideas out of it though and will probably start a project.

Thank mm2002. I don't want an insanely professional job ... just something to tinker around with, and I wanted to make it look decent at least.

--Dan
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

OK Newc, I'll admit there are probably a million things I could learn from you......but I'm pretty sure that painting technique and chemistry wouldn't be included in those things! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Did you go over to projectguitar.com and kick around there a bit? they have lots of tutorials for guitar DIY'ers
              Courtesy, Integrity, Self-control, Perseverance, Indomitable Spirit

Comment

I have to book to. I have read over it a couple of times. Although I have never painted a guitar yet, I feel there are a few things missing from the book. It is a good book and there is a got to learn from it. It is worth the money. IMO I just feel that there should be a sanding between every coat of paint.
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

Facts is facts Mark - my LP Standard and every Jackson USA I've ever owned has/had the same finish wear issues you're saying only comes from cans, and yes that's the ones that fall squarely under "normal every day just-like-everybody-else-does use".

Scotty - Why sand between coats? If you read the book he shows you when to sand to get rid of any "orange peel" effects. If you paint one layer and it's not smooth, the next layer's gonna fill it up, so there's no need to sand it. Sand the final paint layer and then apply the clear and sand and polish it.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

newc, the clear coat that you shoot out of a can will never be as hard as the clear that you mix and shoot out of a gun. facts is facts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

i'll also go so far to say that if you wind up painting 5 guitars with rattle cans, you'll probably be close to what you'd spend for a suitable compressor and a gun. not sure if the book makes mention of not using a can until its empty, but you definitely shouldn't.

anyway, i think the book is an interesting idea, i'm glad it's out there, and i'm also glad that he has a GW column; i think that's something overdue.

sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

All I know is after doing a couple paint jobs and refinns myself I now use pay.someone.else.to.paint.my.guitars.because.its.t oo.much.fucking.work.com
                        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

tell me about it.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ditto. I painted my own a few times when I was younger (poorer), and now I have two that need paint - have needed paint for 15 years. One started getting work earlier this year, but still, it's a lot of work.

I have his book. I wish I would have had it 15 years ago. The paint job turned out good as far as graphics and color (Lynch Tiger), but I didn't use Heavy amounts of Crystal Clear. I used a urathane(sp?) top coat that pealed away, and I sanded too smooth between coats so I have a few more chips than I should. It still is a killer axe - one of my favorites.

Comment

If I paint 5 guitar with cans I won't buy 5-guitars-worth of cans at the same time, though, so the analogy of spending the same amount for a compressor and a gun is kinda null - $300 today in one lump vs $300 over a couple of years makes a big difference.

Thanks for the tip on not using the can till it spits and spurts - hadn't thought about that before but it makes sense.

Krylon makes Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze which is designed to resist chipping and such as quickly as the older stuff did, and if you apply several coats as the book recommends, and let it dry for the recommended length of time, it should be as thick and durable as a catalyzed poly finish.

Comment

Working...
                              X