Floyd Rose arm issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose arm issue

Hey guys, I'm trying to switch out the old screw-in arm assembly on an '80s Original Floyd Rose to the new collar-type. I've the new collar and arm ready and waiting, but I can't get the old arm assembly off the Floyd. Unlike the collared ones, it doesn't have the hex screw on the bottom--it has a socket on the bottom into which the top piece threads. Each piece has flat spots on the sides for wrenches, but I can't get the damned thing off using wrenches on each piece--it really seems stuck. Even WD-40 hasn't helped. Anyone removed one of these before, and if so, how?

Re: Floyd Rose arm issue

11mm open end wrenches on top and bottom...lefty loosey!

You'll have to remove the bridge from the guitar, too.

Comment

Yep! But, I actually prefer the old style. Although it sucks when it comes time to change those plastic washers! Can't find those anywhere. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        11mm open end wrenches on top and bottom...lefty loosey!

You'll have to remove the bridge from the guitar, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! What a cockamamie setup that was--the new (Schaller) designed mount is much better. However, I ended up keeping the old assembly in place. Once I had played around with a bit, I noticed that if I screwed the arm in fully tight, it functions really well. The entire assembly swivels, rather than just the arm--and there's no play, like if you have the arm loose in the assembly.

What's really funny is that it took me so long to discover that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I dis-agree. I don't care for the collared mount at all.
          On the old style barrel mount, I set up the barrel so it can't move, and mess with the bar until I can get it to stop exactly where I want it, usually a little back from straight down if the guitar is in playing position.
          That way I pick it up and always know where it is, use it and drop it and it isn't swinging around down there.
          I can't do this with the collared mount. It's either flopping around, or it's stationary.

Comment

I don't like to have the arm in a set place, since I tend to bump it accidentally. But neither do I like it swinging around loosely, which is what Blackmore used to prefer, oddly enough.

Comment

I agree with Chuck on the old type. If it's tighter, it "flutters" better. But, hey, different strokes for different folks! Anyone using the Wonderbar? (just kidding) It worked well, but it was big and silly!

Comment

I am surprised one would go to the new collared type....
                in repairing guitars I find players constantly asking me to get them the older style
                which to me is much more player friendly..

something about that fingertight that makes the whole floyd experience seem unatural....

when properly set up the old style is definately the better set up...

Comment

One thing I don't like with the collar setup is that the tolerances aren't that good, there seems to be some play between the arm and socket. For subtle vibrato, you notice some wobble in the arm even if the collar is fairly tight, which kind of sucks.

What would be cool (for me) is if someone would invent a PRS type socket for a Floyd with a push in bar and a delrin or nylon lined socket, with a small allen screw adjuster for tension, so you could adjust the amount of 'swing tension, but still have no play in the arm.

I wish the original bar setup was designed a little better, they do seem to come loose after a while, though Loctite does help.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I dis-agree. I don't care for the collared mount at all.
                    On the old style barrel mount, I set up the barrel so it can't move, and mess with the bar until I can get it to stop exactly where I want it, usually a little back from straight down if the guitar is in playing position.
                    That way I pick it up and always know where it is, use it and drop it and it isn't swinging around down there.
                    I can't do this with the collared mount. It's either flopping around, or it's stationary.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

What would be cool (for me) is if someone would invent a PRS type socket for a Floyd with a push in bar and a delrin or nylon lined socket, with a small allen screw adjuster for tension, so you could adjust the amount of 'swing tension, but still have no play in the arm.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Someone did... Ibanez.
                      Their trem is very smooth and you can adjust the stiffness of the the trem arm via a tension spring at the base of the arm socket.
                      And the bushings and spring last for a long time. I just finally had to replace the bushings on my RG 550/560 after almost 18 years of use.
                      -Rick

Comment

The best trem bar design is from Ibanez. It is the pop in bar with the nylon replaceable bushings. No slop, it spins around nice and when the bushings where out it takes $.25 cents and 30 seconds to replace them. The PRS has a similar pop in bar but the nylon bushings are in the trem instead of on the bar.

Comment

Yep... I prefer the bushing on the arm rather than in the socket. Much easier to replace.
                          -Rick

Comment

I like the Ibanez design as well. I still think I like the old style Floyd better, but I do like the Ibanez. It is a little easier to deal with.

Comment

Would you be interested in selling your old bar and assembly?

Comment

Working...
                              X