Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

www.DiMarzio.com - What happened to the Super 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• www.DiMarzio.com - What happened to the Super 3?

Is the DiMarzio Super 3 humbucker still offered? I haven't seen it on www.DiMarzio.com for a few months, yet guitars like the Jackson PC1 are still equipped with this pickup.

After my pickup swap, maybe I should hang onto mine just in case. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No comments from you peanut gallery goers about how this pickup is weak and thin and it's the perfect example of a destroyed classic Super Distortion. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've really grown to love mine... the cutting midrange is SWEET! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Re: www.DiMarzio.com - What happened to the Super 3?

It's still available, as is the Super 2. For some reason, they're just not shown on DiMarzio's site or catalog any more. They still offer any pickup they've ever made that's not advertised, like the Mega Drive and Dual Sound (Super Distortion with an included coil tap switch). [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: www.DiMarzio.com - What happened to the Super

I was about to say how this pickup is weak and thin and it's the perfect example of a destroyed classic Super Distortion. But I won't now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joe, I know you love the Super 2 in the neck, have you tried one in the bridge yet?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

No, haven't tried it in the bridge. I think it might be a little too bright there for me. I'm happy with either a Super D or X2N in the bridge with my Super 2 neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

as you know from the other posts, yes you can still get it. who on earth ever said that pickups is weak and or thin? were you kidding or are they deaf lol? the thing is rated at 25.8K with a thick bottom end a big mid spike and a lightly rolled off top end. the pickup sounds HUGE in any form of alder body strat like guitar. one of my strats has a super 3 in it and the thing sounds massive through my rig, i love that pickup!

-Mike
          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

The super 3 is only available as a custom order now. If you look under discontinued models, I think you'll find it.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Killer pickup, IMHO. I love the boosted mids, and have 3 guitars with it. Disappointed by its limited availability, now.

Comment

I had one in an old all-maple Carvin of mine. An awesome pickup for metal--like a Super Distortion with much more 'chunk'. Too bad they're harder to get, but at least you still can.

Comment

Oh, there it is on the DiMarzio FAQ page! It says:

"DP152 - Super 3™ - Available from DiMarzio Custom Shop *Special Order"

Definitely gonna hang onto mine now, even after I rip it out of its current guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

XSESSIVE, I think they're deaf. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Really, pickups are subjective anyways, so it's difficult to go by pickup suggestions since everybody's guitars/rigs and ideal tone vary tremendously. I still think the Duncan JB in the bridge of my Les Paul Custom sounds crushingly fatter than my DiMarzio Super 3 in the bridge of my Shannon Soloist but the Super 3 is AMAZING for lead work. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] There you go, people may describe the JB as being a bit bright but it perfectly suits my Les Paul.

Yup, DiMarzio's website used to describe it as a workhorse pickup for metal, especially for mid-scooping and bass/treble-boosting. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think that kinda defeats the purpose of the big mid-spike... I take ADVANTAGE of those insane mids! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Time to hoard the Super 3s on Ebay and pull a Carrguitar... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

no need to hoard them man. you can order them all day long in any color you want with any color (gold chrome or black) poles you want. i have a yellow one i just put in a strat a while back. im thinking of getting another one for my next strat build but am actually leaning towards a regular zebra super d with one creme coil with chrome poles and one black coil with black poles. it's all about the dealer you use [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] forget guitar center and musicians friend etc. gotta go with the little guys!

-Mike
                    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Like Xssive said, go with a good dealer. I've had some great dealings with Brian Calvert at www.universaljems.com He's also a member here (BECalvert) but hasn't posted in quite some time. You can also order direct from DiMarzio (they do have great customer service) but you'll probably pay their full price.

Comment

Yep... you can still get them.
                        I ordered one to replace the stock Duncan Design in my PC-3 along with an HS2 for the center. I'm trying to make it close to my PC-1 so I can have it as a backup.
                        Unlike the Super 3 in my PC-1, I noticed the pickups I ordered don't have "DiMarzio" stamped on the face of the pickup.
                        Interesting.
                        -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Unlike the Super 3 in my PC-1, I noticed the pickups I ordered don't have "DiMarzio" stamped on the face of the pickup.
                          Interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I don't think they've had the name stamped on their pups in a really long time.

Comment

I recommend ordering direct from DiMarzio, even if you pay a bit more, just for the experience.

You get to talk to a nice middle aged lady with a thick New Yawk / Staten Island accent, who knows absolutely everything about pickups, and just like she would describe the apple pie she just baked, she'd tell you which one is good for 80's classic metal, which one is for Texas blues etc...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I recommend ordering direct from DiMarzio, even if you pay a bit more, just for the experience.

You get to talk to a nice middle aged lady with a thick New Yawk / Staten Island accent, who knows absolutely everything about pickups, and just like she would describe the apple pie she just baked, she'd tell you which one is good for 80's classic metal, which one is for Texas blues etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 A real nice experience in calling DiMarzio and talking to this lady. My orders came quick. And this is from a Manufacturer!

What ever is in my 6 month old PC1 sounds like the Lord has returned to earth!! A Super Distortion 3??? Hmmm.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X