My jackson WR-1 with floyd tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My jackson WR-1 with floyd tuning

Hey guys, I got my WR-1 like a month or two back. I don't think I've had this problem all along. The problem is I tune the guitar using my Korg chromatic CA-30 tuner and it says the thing is in tune. I'll play it and it seems like the chords are ringing true up to like the 5th fret and from there on the guitar just does not sound in tune. I have a zion USA guitar with a schaller floyd rose and it stays in tune fine. Any ideas? I'm a trem newb (yes even though I own two USA's with floyds) and I think i'll probably just take it to a tech. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: My jackson WR-1 with floyd tuning

Your intonation is off. Did you just change String guages?
    A full setup with your strings of choice is the best bet.

I need to do this will all my guitars, I'm just lazy and cheap these days.

Comment

Intonation is WAY off. Here are some good articles to get you to save a few bucks and learn the way of the Floyd Rose... very educational!

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

http://eastonguitars.com/WWW/TPS/index.htm

Check out the Floyd Rose setup videos in the second link I provided above... they'll walk you right through it!!

Comment

No unless the guy on ebay told me the wrong string guage. Also I don't remember having this problem when I first got the guitar so maybe I fucked something up without knowing it. I guess it couldn't hurt giving it a go on my own, I mean if I mess it up somehow then I could just get it professionally done. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Just remember one thing... don't overcrank anything when adjusting it on your guitar. If you have any doubts, ask questions first. Don't make it any worse for the guitar tech to work with if you unintentionally mess up your guitar beyond what it is now. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I just remembered something. I think one of the little teeth in the saddle (the piece that tightens up against the string when you tighten the screw end) fell out at one point. Does that mean it was broken? it just seemed to fit back into place and it looks like it tightened properly. Could that be what happened?

Comment

Those little string saddle blocks are to be inserted a certain way, supposedly. Look for the groove marks where the big saddle screw (shaddup you dirty minded buggers! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) tightens against the little block and work from there. But your original problem still sounds like the intonation needs to be set properly.

Comment

Well I doubted that was the problem as it seems to hold the string in place and looks normal. So you can take those out then I take it.

Another thing is do most people make adjustments everytime they put a new pack of strings on? Even if their the same brand/gauge? I never knew that _ i thought once you set it up for a certain gauge that you could just keep putting new sets of the same gauge/make onto the guitar without having to set it up or make adjustments.

My main question is if I decide to set it up myself will the videos show me what i need to do if I want to drop the guitar all the way down to c standard tunning? I'd like to be able to also drop the c string down to b and play in drop b with this particular guitar. I have two floyd rose guitars and both are in standard at the moment.

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

Comment

If downtuning is your thing, check out this topic:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#242291

There are many useful articles typed up in this Tech Q&A section and this is one of them!

If you want to drop the 6th string down a whole step from C, you're actually going to be in A#, not B. There is only a semitone between the B and C notes.

Comment

oops, I meant C#,F#,B,E,G#,C# down B,F#,B,E,G#,C#

Comment

I'm thinking of just selling both of my floyd rose equipped guitars after watching that 25 minute video. I went up and took the covers off of both my guitars and then I thought to myself - wtf am I doing here? I don't know what I'm doing. very frustrating.

I don't think I trust myself enough to work a floyd equipped guitar. I think I might of made a rash decision buying these two guitars. It just seems like too much that I have to make an adjustment to the guitar everytime I put a fresh set of the same exact strings on.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I'm thinking of just selling both of my floyd rose equipped guitars after watching that 25 minute video. I went up and took the covers off of both my guitars and then I thought to myself - wtf am I doing here? I don't know what I'm doing. very frustrating.

I don't think I trust myself enough to work a floyd equipped guitar. I think I might of made a rash decision buying these two guitars. It just seems like too much that I have to make an adjustment to the guitar everytime I put a fresh set of the same exact strings on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually not that tough. Read all you can on it and just take your time. You cun dooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeet!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Actually, you can grow to LOVE the Floyd Rose system. It is always a bit intimidating during the very first setup or string change, and there IS a learning curve, but once you get it, it becomes second nature.

What I suggest you doing is to take your Floyd-equipped guitar to your local qualified guitar tech, and ask if you can watch him perform a string change (appropriate string gauge especially if you're downtuning to C#) and a complete setup. You will learn a LOT if he lets you stay and watch. Ask questions throughout. Don't be shy. Bring a video camera if you need to!

The only real adjustment you have to make to the guitar every time you put a fresh pack of strings on is to stretch them out real good and then retune the guitar. I do that same ritual even on my fixed bridge Les Paul and acoustic guitars.

Just keep in mind that whatever you do, do NOT sell your guitars here as a Junior Member... this message board has a strict policy against newbies who sell gear. You'll be fine. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Well i think I might relinquish one (the hand made zion) and keep the jackson. I may just keep both and start saving for another hardtail. I'm not going to decide though until I atleast give it a go. I probably will go to a tech and see if they can show me.

Comment

Working...
                            X